3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2018 4:43 PM by desktop22

How do I create a graph (or table) for this data

desktop22

Number of premature death (numerator) per 100,000 people (denominator).

Counties: Arkansas & Faulkner.

Years: 2007-2011 (or any)

Thank you!

• 1. Re: How do I create a graph (or table) for this data
          garth.conrad

1) Import the CSV into Tableau

2) Drag 'Year Span' to the columns shelf

3) Drag 'County' to the rows shelf

4) Drag 'Measure Name' to the filters box. Select Premature Death.  Make sure everything else is unchecked. Select OK.

5) Drag 'County' to the filters box. Select Arkansas County and Faulkner County.  Make sure everything else is unchecked. Select OK

6) Drag 'Year Span' to the filters box. Select 2005-2007, 2006-2008, 2007-2009 and 2008-2010. Make sure everything else is unchecked. Select OK

7) Drag 'Numerator' to the "Text" box.

8) Double click Sum(Numerator) in the marks box to edit in the shelf. Type in /100000. Hit enter.

You can change the table to a bar chart, line chart or other type just select the chart you want from the 'Show Me' button in the upper right corner of the workbook.

G

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I create a graph (or table) for this data
            desktop22

Thank you for the steps. Sorry, I may have worded it differently since I wasn't expecting decimal numbers. I want to know the years of potential life lost due to premature deaths per 100,000 people. Here is a sample of what I'm looking for. Numbers are not exact but should be in thousands.

Capture.JPG

• 3. Re: How do I create a graph (or table) for this data
              desktop22

Thank you so much G. What I did is follow all your steps but without the calculation in the end.

Here's what I found.

Premature Death is the years of potential life lost before age 75 (YPLL-75). Every death occurring before the age of 75 contributes to the total number of years of potential life lost. For example, a person dying at age 25 contributes 50 years of life lost, whereas a person who dies at age 65 contributes 10 years of life lost to a county's YPLL. The YPLL measure is presented as a rate per 100,000 population and is age-adjusted to the 2000 US population.