2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2018 1:42 AM by Antonio Casado

Publishing datasources using Tableau REST API delete extract files

Antonio Casado

Hi all,

I am involved in the design of a continue integration solution using for that GIT and VSTS, and I have found that when I publish a datasource using the Tableau REST API the .tde or .hyper file stored in a repository is deleted just in the moment the publish process is done. Because of that, when I try to promote to the next environment I get an error because the extract files that the TDS file references has gone away.

Please, any idea?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

• 1. Re: Publishing datasources using Tableau REST API delete extract files
          Ciaran Bource

Hi Antonio,

Does this occur only with RestAPI ? If you publish them via Tableau Desktop does it work fine ?

Ciaran

• 2. Re: Publishing datasources using Tableau REST API delete extract files
            Antonio Casado

Hi Ciaran,

This issue only happen using the Tableau REST API, when I publish the datasource using Tableau Desktop the TDE or HYPER file doesn't go away.  But I have found that probably they don't go away because both files (TDS and TDE or HYPER) are being used by Tableau Desktop so, obviously, the API Method cannot remove them. Below I describe the tests I did:

1. Open Tableau Desktop > Create the data source (extract) > Save the .Hyper file in a remote repository > Add saved Data Source... > save the .TDS file in Git > Commit changes in Git > Push > VSTS Countinuous Integration > The data source is published successfully in DEV Env and the .hyper file continue stored in the remote repository.
            2. Open Tableau Desktop > Create the data source (extract) > Save the .Hyper file in a remote repository > Add saved Data Source... > save the .TDS file in Git > CLOSE TABLEAU DESKTOP > Commit changes in Git > Push > VSTS Countinuous Integration > The data source is published successfully in DEV Env but the .hyper file goes away.

It is very weird behaviour... so just in the moment I close Tableau Desktop and, then, I publish the data source, the file disapears, so this is driving me to think that it is because both files are in use at that moment.

Thanks.