4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2018 11:35 PM by Niranjan Banarjee

Calculation

Niranjan Banarjee

Hi,

I am trying to calculate something and in process stuck in the below case.If anyone can guide how can i achieve the below

Requirement: I want a calculated filed which gives me the Grand Total row wise data so that I can fill Column E,H,K . All should give me same numbers as Column C

• 1. Re: Calculation
          Don Wise

Hello,

Just an observation regarding your requirement that each of the columns = "C", can you clarify for folks that might be responding as to the below screenshot questions? 

Also, can you attach a workbook or MS-Excel data mock-up for folks to work from?

Clarification.png

• 2. Re: Calculation
            Niranjan Banarjee

I need the Column C numbers at cell level to be shown in the Column E,H,K.And I need the absolute for now so that i can use them for further calculations.

If you can See the Grand Total  Row doesn't give me correct addition when i see it for Manufacturer-A as Manufacturer-A doesn't have Product-7 and I need the Grand Total to be fixed for addition of all manufacturers(i.e Column C Grand Total)

• 3. Re: Calculation
              Jonathan Drummey

Hi @Niranjan,

When you write "I need the Column C numbers at cell level to be shown in the Column E,H,K.And I need the absolute for now so that i can use them for further calculations." I strongly suspect that you are using the kind of linear thinking that we use in tools like MS Excel where we start out with some cells of data, write some formulas that populate additional cells, then do some more formulas, and so on.

Tableau's model is different. Even though there is an underlying order of operations the parts are computed "all at once" so when we're deriving a result we may need to take drastically different routes in the software depending on what we want do next. The reason that I bring this contrast of models up is based on my experience helping users where they present challenges one piece at a time and it turns out to take a lot longer to get to a solution because we head down paths that ultimately don't get to the end goal.

Therefore my suggestion is to mock up some sample data, create a Tableau packaged workbook with your work so far, and create a mock up of your desired end goal. Then folks like Don and I will be in a much more informed position to help you out.

Jonathan

• 4. Re: Calculation
                Niranjan Banarjee

I managed to achieve it.