12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2018 10:28 PM by Sunil Gudipati

Publisher permissions on Nested projects

Anup Srikumar

I have an issue with setting with publisher permissions at the individual nested project levels.

Use Case: Specific users can publish to specific projects only. For ex., User A should be able to publish only to the 'County A' project and User B should be able to publish only to the 'County B' project.

Nested Project Structure:

Continent

Country

State

County

Example:

North America

U.S.A

Virginia

County A

County B

User Name     Site Role          Group

User A             Publisher          CountyA_Publisher

User B             Publisher          CountyB_Publisher

Issue:

User A is part of a user group that can view the entire nested project hierarchy and has publisher permissions under County A via the 'CountyA_Publisher' user group. Using Desktop 10.5, User A is not able to publish to the 'County A' project unless he/she is part of a user group which has access to publish content to the entire hierarchy, starting with Continent all the way down to County. This is a temporary fix, but also means that User A can now publish to the 'County B' project which is not the desired outcome.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Publisher permissions on Nested projects
          Matt Coles

Thanks for bringing this up. This is a bug--please work with Support to resolve!

• 2. Re: Publisher permissions on Nested projects
            Mark Wu

Anup, I spent sometime to test your scenarios and here is my findings:

1. For User A being able to publish to County A, user A has to have publisher permission not only for County A but also for Virginia, USA, and all the level to the top parent project.
            2. For User B being able to publish to County B, user B has to have publisher permission not only for County B but also for Virginia, USA, and all the level to the top parent project.
            3. If you setup above #1 and #2, User A will NOT be able to publish to County B. User B will NOT be able to publish to County A, which is what you wanted.

Pls vote for idea https://community.tableau.com/ideas/8490

Allow publisher permission to child project only w/o publisher permission at parent project

• 3. Re: Publisher permissions on Nested projects
              Anup Srikumar

Thanks for the response Mark.

I set these permissions up and had my users test out the scenarios. Unfortunately User A has to be set up as a publisher at the top parent project all the way down to 'County'project level else they get a message that they do not have rights to publish.

If I set them up (same you mentioned), then they are able to publish to their projects and other projects too...

• 4. Re: Publisher permissions on Nested projects
                Mark Wu

Correct but pls confirm User A will not be able to publish to County B although User A is able to publish all upper projects.

If your concern is User A being able to  all the upper projects, the nested project does not work for you or you need to re-structure the project to flat it out with less levels.

If your concern is User A being able to publish to sister project County B, you don’t have to concern.  The key feature here is User A can’t publish to County B although User A can publish its upper projects. I will design a flatter hierarchy to leverage this key feature.

Sent from my iPhone

• 5. Re: Publisher permissions on Nested projects
                  Anup Srikumar

User A was able to publish to County B. I am re-thinking the hierarchy to manage the permissions better.

Thanks for your help.

• 6. Re: Publisher permissions on Nested projects
                    Mark Wu

If your User A is able to publish to County B. Either it is a bug or setup is wrong. I wanted to document my setup as your reference. In my setup, User A can't publish to County B. I double verified this.

1. Nested-Project has two sub-folders: Project A and Project B

screenshot_3298.png

2. I have two publishers : Publisher4 and Publisher5. I have to give both publisher permission for Nested-Project.

screenshot_3299.png

3.  I setup Publisher5 the publisher permission only for Project A

screenshot_3296.png

4. And setup Publisher4 the publisher permission only for Project B

screenshot_3297.png

5. From Desktop, Publisher5 only sees Project A,  which is good.

Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 3.16.38 PM.png

6. From Desktop, Publisher4 only sees Project B,  which is good too.

Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 3.22.18 PM.png

• 7. Re: Publisher permissions on Nested projects
                      Anup Srikumar

Thank you very much for the detailed notes. I have set this up for a couple of users and should be able to have them test it. The scenario you have outlined will most likely be the option we go with for now.

I would like Tableau to fix the situation where Publisher 5 and Publisher 4 can only publish to their individual projects and not to the parent project (Nested-Project).

Thanks again for your guidance. Helped clarify a lot of potential questions for our enterprise rollout of the new 10.5 server.

• 8. Re: Publisher permissions on Nested projects
                        Anup Srikumar

Mark:

A question about the permissions for Publisher 4. You have set Publisher 4 as 'Publisher' on 'Nested-Project', but what about the permissions for 'Workbooks' and 'Data Sources'? Have they been defaulted to 'None'? The reason I ask is if the permissions are set to 'None' for 'Workbooks' and 'Data Sources', then Publisher 4 can navigate the hierarchy, but not publish at the 'Nested-Project' level, which is exactly what I need.

• 9. Re: Publisher permissions on Nested projects
                          Mark Wu

Anup, You can't avoid to give Publisher4 or Publisher5 publisher permission at the 'Nested-Project' level. If they do not have it, they can't see sub-project folder during publishing - it means that they can't publisher to sub-folders. I do not like this either, pls vote https://community.tableau.com/ideas/8490 

When you give Publisher4 or Publisher5 publisher permission at the 'Nested-Project' level, they will be able to publish to 'Nested-Project' no matter what permissions they have for 'Workbook' or 'Data Sources'. 

What it means if Publisher4 has publisher permission at 'Nested-Project' and none for 'Workbook' and  none for 'Data Sources'?

1. Publisher4 can publisher to 'Nested-Project'
                          2. When Publisher6 publishes to 'Nested-Project', by default, Publisher4 will get none permission for Publisher6's workbook or data sources. However Publisher6 can always give Publisher4 whatever permissions for Publisher6's workbooks or data sources during or after the publishing process
                          1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Publisher permissions on Nested projects
                            Abdulla Mohammad

Hey Anup,

As Mark Wu suggested. There is no way where you can set users/AD group as Publisher at sub project and not setting them as publishers at Project level.

Users have to be Publishers at Both Project & Sub Project level. The current Tableau Set up is like that.

I have gone through this cycle to discover this behavior.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Publisher permissions on Nested projects
                              Anup Srikumar

Thank you very much. I have configured the permissions with an understanding of the current limitations. I have also voted up the idea...

• 12. Re: Publisher permissions on Nested projects
                                Sunil Gudipati

Hi Mark Wu/ Anup Srikumar,

For the below scenario we have

North America

U.S.A

Virginia

County A

County B

User Name     Site Role          Group

User A             Publisher          CountyA_Publisher

User B             Publisher          CountyB_Publisher

I was just wondering, why not setup the user in this fashion:

1. Create Groups "North America", USA, Virginia - Set these groups to be viewers on respective folders.
                                2. Make "User A" & "User B" member of all the groups above
                                3. Create "CountryA_Publisher" Group
                                  • User A will be part of "CountryA_Publisher" Group
                                4. Create "CountryB_Publisher" Group
                                  • User B will be part of "CountryB_Publisher" Group

I am assuming with your expertise you had realized this, but didnt that work ?