3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2018 1:57 PM by Isaac Kunen

Sorting like Excel

Jason Shapiro

Hello everyone - I've been playing around with Tableau Prep and love the program so far with one major issue: A part of data preparation is sorting in a logical manner, especially if I'm giving the tprep output to someone to review. Excel's column sorting seems by far the most logical to use (barring nested situations). Although most of you are familiar, I'll briefly explain: You pick a column to sort by, then you can add another sort to be performed after the first, so I could sort by region and then by product name as an example. This is really a downer as it creates a need for me to open up the tprep output into excel, sort it, save it and then send it elsewhere. Does anyone have a solution to sort like Excel in prep?

• 1. Re: Sorting like Excel
          Isaac Kunen

Hi Jason,

That's not a bad idea. You should post it to the Ideas Forum so that others can vote on it. One clarification would be good though: do you want this just for exploratory purposes, or do you want the order preserved when you output a CSV? (Right now, sorting is exploratory only: there are no guarantees on output order.)

Cheers,

-Isaac

• 2. Re: Sorting like Excel
            Jason Shapiro

Thank you for the suggestion Isaac, I will likely post it there as well. I meant for having the order preserved when it outputs in a CSV (or other file types) format, but it may also be useful for some purposes inside of Tableau Prep.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Sorting like Excel
              Isaac Kunen

Hi Jason,

Understood. Sorting (that actually affects the flow) is something we have on our backlog, but for most of our outputs (everything but CSV) it's really irrelevant. Please post the idea, and let us know as much about your scenario as you can -- it will help us in prioritizing and designing the feature immensely.

Thanks!

-Isaac