1 Reply Latest reply on May 15, 2018 4:30 PM by Peter Fakan

URL for Workbooks does not change on Tableau server after renaming workbook

Deepak Dobhal

I have Tableau Server 10.5 and using a web interface to display workbooks. On Tableau server, when we publish a workbook, it is accessible on server web interface with a URL. The name of workbook is part of URL. The issue is that if we rename the workbook, the name in URL remains same. For example:

1) Publish workbook as MyWorkbook - the URL will something like https://mytableauserver/#/site/007/views/MyWorkbook/Dashboard?:iid=1  (Dashboard being name of dashboard)

2) On server, go to the project and rename workbook to YourWorkbook - the URL remains same.

Is there a way to reset URL without downloading, deleting and republishing workbook with new name?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: URL for Workbooks does not change on Tableau server after renaming workbook
          Peter Fakan

Hi Deepak,

I don't think so I'm afraid. We look at this as a feature rather than a bug though, because all of our server products are published to the web, if we were to rename a viz this would cause more work for us downstream because we would have to go change the url links with our web team.

As an added advantage, since the URL doesn't change, this allows us to insert an embargo phase in our web release cycle and we simply run a script over the URLs to change them when we go public because the majority of the URL stays the same between our tableau environments.

HTH

Peter

1 of 1 people found this helpful