9 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2018 5:10 AM by Vivek Shekar

How to show Top 10% by Sales

Vivek Shekar

Hi All,

I am using sample superstore data, my view is very simple, it has Category and Sum(Sales).

Now for each separate value of Category, I want to get Sales of Top 10% of Customers for that value,

For example, if Category = Furniture, I want to know within that value what is the top 10% sales by customer, but my view should not change.

I mean it should have only Category and Sum(Sales).

Any help on this would be appreciated

• 1. Re: How to show Top 10% by Sales
          anand mishra

hi vivek,

I wish if u could explain this sentence more to clarify your doudt : "what is the top 10% sales by customer "

Though you can look at the attachment and let me know if its helpful

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to show Top 10% by Sales
            David Maning

Hi Vivek,

I am quiet sure if i got your point right. Do you need to show the names of those customers? If so please find in the attachment.

Trust this helps.

D

• 3. Re: How to show Top 10% by Sales
              Vivek Shekar

Hi David,

When you pick a category, lets say "furniture", for that particular value we may have "x" number of customers with different Sales value.

So what I mean here is we need to show only Top 10% of Sum(sales) for that particular Category. But we can't have customer names in the view, thats the catch.

Thanks,

Vivek

• 4. Re: How to show Top 10% by Sales
                Vivek Shekar

Hi Anand,

When you pick a category, lets say "furniture", for that particular value we may have "x" number of customers with different Sales value.

So what I mean here is we need to show only Top 10% of Sum(sales) for that particular Category. But we can't have customer names in the view, thats the catch.

Thanks,

Vivek

• 5. Re: How to show Top 10% by Sales
                  Vivek Shekar

Hi All,

I am able to get only Top 10% of customers by sales for a particular category, lets says furniture.

But I cant remove customer name from the view because everything goes out of place.

I simple, my view should have Category and Sum(sales), thats sum(sales) should Top 10% within that particular category.

I am also attaching the workbook.

Hope this helps.

Also please use tableau 10.5.x to create workbooks, because I don't have Tableau 2018

• 6. Re: How to show Top 10% by Sales
                    David Maning

Vivek,

Just tell me the diff between top 10% of sales and just 10% of sales?) Hint: there is no such diff =) 10% is just 10%. So just take LOD sum sales of Category and multiply it by 0.1

{ FIXED [Category]:SUM([Sales])}*0.1

D

• 7. Re: How to show Top 10% by Sales
                      Zhouyi Zhang

Hi, Vivek

Is it something like this? if yes, please find attached workbook.

Hope this helps

ZZ

• 8. Re: How to show Top 10% by Sales
                        anand mishra

hi,

hope this will finally help u....

• 9. Re: How to show Top 10% by Sales
                          Vivek Shekar

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for your prompt responses it means a lot.

Anyway I found the right answer to the question posted. We have to use Percentile function and LOD. Below are the details:

IF{ FIXED [Customer Name] : SUM( [Sales] ) } <= {PERCENTILE({ FIXED [Customer Name] :SUM([Sales]) }, .1) } THEN "<10%"

ELSEIF{ FIXED [Customer Name] : SUM( [Sales] ) } <= {PERCENTILE({ FIXED [Customer Name] :SUM([Sales]) }, .2) } THEN "20%"

ELSEIF{ FIXED [Customer Name] : SUM( [Sales] ) } <= {PERCENTILE({ FIXED [Customer Name] :SUM([Sales]) }, .3) } THEN "30%"

ELSEIF{ FIXED [Customer Name] : SUM( [Sales] ) } <= {PERCENTILE({ FIXED [Customer Name] :SUM([Sales]) }, .4) } THEN "40%"

ELSEIF{ FIXED [Customer Name] : SUM( [Sales] ) } <= {PERCENTILE({ FIXED [Customer Name] :SUM([Sales]) }, .5) } THEN "50%"

ELSEIF{ FIXED [Customer Name] : SUM( [Sales] ) } <= {PERCENTILE({ FIXED [Customer Name] :SUM([Sales]) }, .6) } THEN "60%"

ELSEIF{ FIXED [Customer Name] : SUM( [Sales] ) } <= {PERCENTILE({ FIXED [Customer Name] :SUM([Sales]) }, .7) } THEN "70%"

ELSEIF{ FIXED [Customer Name] : SUM( [Sales] ) } <= {PERCENTILE({ FIXED [Customer Name] :SUM([Sales]) }, .8) } THEN "80%"

ELSEIF{ FIXED [Customer Name] : SUM( [Sales] ) } <= {PERCENTILE({ FIXED [Customer Name] :SUM([Sales]) }, .9) } THEN "90%"

ELSE "100%"

END

Also to get Top 10% we have to do the following calc, add that to filter self and select "True":

{FIXED [Customer Name] : SUM([Sales])} >

{PERCENTILE({ FIXED [Customer Name] :SUM([Sales]) }, .9)} AND

{FIXED [Customer Name] : SUM([Sales])} <=

{PERCENTILE({ FIXED [Customer Name] :SUM([Sales]) }, 1)}

Also to get bottom 10% we have to do the following calc, add that to filter self and select "True":

{FIXED [Customer Name] : SUM([Sales])} >

{PERCENTILE({ FIXED [Customer Name] :SUM([Sales]) }, 0)} AND

{FIXED [Customer Name] : SUM([Sales])} <=

{PERCENTILE({ FIXED [Customer Name] :SUM([Sales]) }, 0.1)}

Again Thanks a lot for your help guys.