3 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2018 12:20 PM by Eric Hammond

How to implement logic

Tulu Sahoo

Hi All,

We are facing one challenge while implementing few logics in Tableau. Below is the requirement details.

I have three columns:

call_key    source_cd    DW_flag

ABC          A0001           DW

ABC          A0002           DW

ABC          A0003           Non-DW

XYZ          A0004            Non-DW

Expected output:

DW_flag    count distinct(call_key)

DW            1

Non-DW     1

Instead of getting the above o/p I am getting below o/p:

DW_flag    count distinct(call_key)

DW            1

Non-DW     2

For Non-DW I do not want to count      ABC          A0003           Non-DW because ABC call_key already count under DW.

Please let me know if have any solution. Thanks

• 1. Re: How to implement logic
          Eric Hammond

Hi Tulu,

Create a level of detail calculation that identifies only one DW-flag per call_key:  {FIXED [Call_key]: MIN(DW_Flag)]}.  Then put  this calculation on rows and add a distinct count of call_key to the text tile on the marks shelf. 

The example below is from superstore, counting distinct customers per category - but not counting a customer under office supplies if they have already been counted as a furniture customer, etc.

• 2. Re: How to implement logic
            Tulu Sahoo

Hi Eric,

I have millions of call_key that's why your logic giving me time out error. Please suggest any alternative.

• 3. Re: How to implement logic
              Eric Hammond

Hi Tulu,

The requirement to count a call_key under non-DW only if it wasn't counted under DW appears to require calculations that cause lower performance.  Here is another approach that avoids the LOD calculation, but I don't have a large-enough data set to determine whether this is more efficient or less efficient than the LOD approach:

Create a set of call_keys that have a minimum DW_Flag of "DW" (Right-click on call_key, create, set, condition tab, by field, DW_Flag, minimum, =, DW, OK).  Then place the set on the Rows shelf and place a distinct count of call_keys on the text tile on the marks shelf.  The result will show counts for "in" and "out", so for a better label place MIN(DW_Flag) on the Rows shelf, then right-click on the SET pill on the Rows shelf and un-check "show header".  If there are more than two values for DW_Flag then it will be necessary to create more sets.  The example below arrives at the same result as the previous example but uses sets instead of LOD.