1 Reply Latest reply on May 12, 2018 1:32 AM by Chris McClellan

Prepping Dates in Excel

Lauren Anderson

Hello,

As a beginner user, I have a (hopefully) basic question regarding prepping my data in excel for tableau. I've been tasked with creating a dashboard displaying company-wide information. This would include departmental information for different quarters within different years. For example: The number of twitters followers we gained in Q1 of 2018 versus Q2 of 2018.

Where I run into trouble is prepping this data in excel to be easily transferred and displayed in Tableau. How do I display my date information to account for the different indicators? If I have one column for Year, I don't want this to apply to the indicators referring to a different year. Do I need to create a date column for each indicator?

An example (see data below), if I'm looking at the impact population for 2017 but want to look at the # of scale meetings for 2018 in the same excel spreadsheet, how would I enter the date data? If I write 2017 in the year column below to align with the impact pop data, it will read incorrectly for the scale meeting data. Therefore, do I need to enter a separate date column for the impact pop versus the scale meeting column?

CountryDistrictYear Everyone Reached Community, School & Health Center Projects Completed Community, School & Health Center Projects Planned# of Scale Meetings Held at the National Level# of External Presentations/Articles/Blogs # of Sanitation InitiativesImpact Population
      Denver0000
      UK0000
      Bolivia Arani24103 17,894

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Best,

Lauren

• 1. Re: Prepping Dates in Excel
          Chris McClellan

The quick answer is ... assign a date to everything

If your data is only at the year level, then you could use 2017 and 2018 as values but realise that Tableau will see that as a number (ie not a date) but you can still make that a dimension.  If you use 1/1/2017 and 1/1/2018 Tableau will see that as a date, but you can only show the year part if required - this would also help for quarters and months if you need that detail for some of the other measures.

Lauren Anderson wrote:

Where I run into trouble is prepping this data in excel to be easily transferred and displayed in Tableau. How do I display my date information to account for the different indicators? If I have one column for Year, I don't want this to apply to the indicators referring to a different year. Do I need to create a date column for each indicator?

I'd use a single "time" column for all your measures (aka indicators) and just add rows when you need different years.

You will eventually have data like this:

CountryDistrictYear Everyone Reached Community, School & Health Center Projects Completed Community, School & Health Center Projects Planned# of Scale Meetings Held at the National Level# of External Presentations/Articles/Blogs # of Sanitation InitiativesImpact Population
          Denver20170000
          UK20170000
          Bolivia Arani201724103 17,894
          Denver20183333
          UK20185555
          BoliviaArani2018777718,500

etc...

Then you can use "year" in the graphs to show the movement over years.