7 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2018 7:58 AM by Angel Sinha

Is there a way to disable Published Datasets on Tableau Server?

Angel Sinha

Hi Everyone,

I would like to know if there's a way to disable the use of Published datasets on a Tableau Server (So we can enable them)?

We have an issue where our workbook loads completely fine on the server, when the dataset is embedded as a Packaged workbook. But, throws an error when connected to a Published dataset.

We are the site admins and we are the owners of the dataset and the dashboards. However, we are still receiving this error.

Anyone come across something similar ?

Thanks,

Angel

• 1. Re: Is there a way to disable Published Datasets on Tableau Server?
          Toby Erkson

Angel Sinha wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I would like to know if there's a way to disable the use of Published datasets on a Tableau Server (So we can enable them)?

There is not.

As for the error, I don't know

• 2. Re: Is there a way to disable Published Datasets on Tableau Server?
            Angel Sinha

Hi Toby,

Thanks!

I was wondering if there's any setting that was overriding this functionality.

Coz I tried publishing the sample superstore workbook as well. Weird, the .twbx packaged workbook works completely fine. But if I just publish the dataset and replace the dashboard with the published dataset, the dashboard doesn't load.

Thanks,
            Angel

• 3. Re: Is there a way to disable Published Datasets on Tableau Server?
              John Hobby

For 'disabling' published data sources - not sure I full understand the whole question   - but one thing you could do, move all those extracts you want disabled into the 'default' project.  Then remove everyone's permission from that project.  That's what I currently do.  I publish all new data sources / extracts to the default (with all user permissions set to 'none'), then I can schedule them / refresh them to load data / validate them / certify them ... and then move them back to their project.

With the data source error above, can you republish the data source?  Sorta, make a new version for the data source.

A workbook (using an online data source/extract) error that I had was more related to permissions being denied even though I'm the Server Admin.  How I got around it, was to embed a tiny image on a dashboard, which forced the option to 'include external files' when publishing the book.  This forced the book to then publish using the extract correctly that's on the server.

Thanks,

John

• 4. Re: Is there a way to disable Published Datasets on Tableau Server?
                Toby Erkson

John Hobby wrote:

For 'disabling' published data sources - not sure I full understand the whole question - but one thing you could do, move all those extracts you want disabled into the 'default' project. Then remove everyone's permission from that project. That's what I currently do. I publish all new data sources / extracts to the default (with all user permissions set to 'none'), then I can schedule them / refresh them to load data / validate them / certify them ... and then move them back to their project.

Ha!  Clever, I like it

• 5. Re: Is there a way to disable Published Datasets on Tableau Server?
                  Matt Coles

I'm not sure I understand. The Data Server component of Tableau Server does not appear to be working properly, so you want to disable it altogether? So you can enable it? Allowing people to connect to curated published Data Sources is one of Tableau Server's most important features. If you're just trying to get it working, I wouldn't bother mucking around trying to disable it--just send in a support ticket!

• 6. Re: Is there a way to disable Published Datasets on Tableau Server?
                    Angel Sinha

Hi Matt,

Sorry for the confusion.

We can’t seem to use published datasets on this server. I was just trying to know if there’s any server side setting as such in the UI which might have been mistakenly turned off during setup.

It looks like a tech issue though. Will raise a support ticket soon.

Thanks,

Angel

• 7. Re: Is there a way to disable Published Datasets on Tableau Server?
                      Angel Sinha

Hi John,

Thanks for the alternative. I will certainly give it a try. If it still doesn’t work then I will raise a support ticket.

Cheers!

Angel