3 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2018 7:35 AM by Zhouyi Zhang

Replace data source with local copy

Alyssa Ashton

So I had a workbook where I connected to MS SQL Server, added and joined a bunch of tables and created a few worksheets.  I then published to our test server.  Now when opening the workbook it is using the data source from the server, so when I click the Data Source tab, it is showing the list of published data sources, and not the usual graphical of all the tables, their joins, filters, etc.  So now I can't go in and edit anything.  Read something about saving a local copy then going to Data>Replace Data Source, but Replace Data Source is greyed out and I can't click it.

• 1. Re: Replace data source with local copy
          Zhouyi Zhang

Hi, Alyssa

If you need to edit the published data source, you need download the data source from server first and then in desktop open the downloaded data source to edit the initial query. When you finish, you need publish again to the server to replace the existing one. For this process, you don't need to republish your workbook.

Hope this helps

ZZ

• 2. Re: Replace data source with local copy
            Alyssa Ashton

Hi ZZ,

So by download the published data source, that means right-click, Save a Local Copy?  So why did my workbook start using the published data source and not the local copy I had in the first place?  I've published before and then was able to go in and open in Desktop and it was still using the local so I could edit.  I don't know what I did different this time.

• 3. Re: Replace data source with local copy
              Zhouyi Zhang

Hi, Alyssa

In the server, from the data source, there is a drop down so you can select download.

to your question, I think the reason is when you publish your workbook to server, the data source is embed and being published as well, I guess. try to look at more details when you publish again next time, there are options.

ZZ