3 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2018 7:51 AM by Jim Dehner

Percent Change by Year with Slider to Adjust Years

Rebecca Weirich

I have been asked to find the percent change in Mem Count in a date range.  I can find the overall change from the beginning of date range to the end which can be seen.  I have been asked to now create a slider so you can adjust the date range included in the percent change.  How can I create a formula to find percent change that could be used across different date ranges and then create a slider to adjust the date range that would be included?

• 1. Re: Percent Change by Year with Slider to Adjust Years
          Jim Dehner

Hi Rebecca -

see the attached approach

it produces this

I made changes to the data structure to get an actual date and have a tall v wide data set

to pivot the data

then to strip off the year use split

when the box opens - use a space for the delimiter and the last occurrence

converted the year to a date

and change the dimension to Member count is a table calculation

you can create this viz

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Percent Change by Year with Slider to Adjust Years
            Rebecca Weirich

This is very helpful!  Thank you.  I now need to be able to use the slider to view the percent change between say 2015 and 2018 or 2014 and 2016.  I'm not quite sure if there is a calculation that is adjustable like this. 

• 3. Re: Percent Change by Year with Slider to Adjust Years
              Jim Dehner

Hi

first thanks

now here is how the calculations works

you want a slider for the data range - the slider start date is the "Relative to" period in the table calculation - see below

so all the values in  the table are the % change to 2015 in this example

Now you want to hide the values you don't want to see (cant just filter them out )

so

and you get this

or this in bar form

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.