4 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2018 4:16 AM by Okechukwu Ossai

Data in excel, do not match those shown in tableau

Pablo Rodriguez

Hi!

I´m a beginner, and i need help about that

The problem is that the sum in the excel file that i conect with Tableau, does not agrre with data shown in Tableau.

For example:

I have this view, only the sum of the amounts by product (Descripcion):

I will check in the excel file if the amounts that sum for each product are correct

So, in Tableau i got:

SUM(SALVADO DE TRIGO): 5.958  /  348

SUM(TORTA DE GIRASOL):  486  /  162

And in the same excel file that I connect to tableau i got:

SUM(SALVADO DE TRIGO):  993  /  58.44

SUM(TORTA DE GIRASOL):  162.46  /  53.86

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE???

I attached the Example.twbx and Example.xllsx files

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Data in excel, do not match those shown in tableau
          Hari Ankem

You are joining 2 data sources, and the number of records are being multiplied. You will need to check your join condition, and or use LOD's to get your output right.

Check out the record count here:

Screen Grab.png

9 rows of Compras multiplied with 6 rows of Ventas = 54 rows for SALVADO DE TRIGO.

Screen Grab.png

Screen Grab.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Data in excel, do not match those shown in tableau
            Okechukwu Ossai

Hi Pablo,

Is this what you are looking for?

You are getting different numbers in Excel and Tableau because of the way your data have been joined in Tableau. It appears you only joined the data on Cod.producto field.

To get the correct result, the 2 data sources should be joined on Cod.producto, C.P., Fecha desde and Fecha hasta. See attached workbook.

Hope this helps.

Ossai

• 3. Re: Data in excel, do not match those shown in tableau
              Pablo Rodriguez

Thank you Okechukwu,

The problem of doing so is that there are many null values.

My idea is this:

I have one table with purchases, and another with sales

I need to see the purchases that are made, and show them by place, date ...

And in the same plane sales, hence the difficulty to join both tables.

I do not know how to do it without having null values.

From my ignorance, I could show separately (without joining purchases and sales) two files, and display them in the same dashboard? I do not know if I explain myself ...

Thanks in advance

The problem of doing so is that there are many null values. My idea is this: I have one table with purchases, and another with sales I need to see the purchases that are made, and show them by place, date ... And in the same plane sales, hence the difficulty to join both tables. I do not know how to do it without having null values. From my ignorance, I could show separately (without joining purchases and sales) two files, and display them in the same dashboard? I do not know if I explain myself ...

• 4. Re: Data in excel, do not match those shown in tableau
                Okechukwu Ossai

Yes you are right, you can add them as separate data sources in the same workbook and show them as separate worksheets in the same dashboard.

You only need to join if you need to show them together in the same worksheet or if you plan to perform some calculations involving fields from both tables. In that case, a full outer join will be an approach which will result in nulls. Not all nulls can be filtered out. However, depending on the visualization, like the one in the Hoja 1 image above, you can filter out all the nulls using Description field.

Hope this helps.

Ossai