2 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2018 2:17 PM by Like Like

Relative v Absolute Data Source Connections When Moving .twb Files

Like Like

I contain my .twb and supporting .xlsx and .csv files in one folder.  Each month, the data supporting files needs to be refreshed while keeping the previous month's data for reference.  If I duplicate the entire folder and then open my .twb tile, it is still connected to the previous folder, not the folder it is currently in.  I can go in an manually change the connections to each data source to correct it to the current folder, but that's rather tedious.

Is there another way to keep the .twb file source connections absolutely located (within same folder) versus relatively (refer back to folder it was copied from)?

• 1. Re: Relative v Absolute Data Source Connections When Moving .twb Files
          Santiago Sanchez

What if you change the order of the process?

1. Create a copy of the folder for reference.

2. Replace the data supporting files on the original folder.

3. Open the TWB file. It will still point to the original folder but because the files have been replaced, the workbook will reflect any changes on the data.

The older copies of the TWB will be pointing to the wrong folder now (the original folder) but since the data supporting files are part of the copied folder, if you ever need to go back to a prior version, you can update the connection. This would make sense if it's less common to go back to an older copy that generating the new copy which sounds like it happens every month.

I'd also encourage you to up-vote this idea, which mentions a few workarounds too: https://community.tableau.com/ideas/4167

Hope that helps!

Santiago

• 2. Re: Relative v Absolute Data Source Connections When Moving .twb Files
            Like Like

Thanks Santiago for the suggestions and the link.  I definitely upvoted the suggestion about having the configuration option of choosing Relative v Absolute paths.  I work with too many workbooks that reconnecting datasheets every new reporting cycle is extremely cumbersome.  I hope Tableau adds this in future updates.