5 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2018 3:59 AM by kumar bharat

one user to embed tableau report in portal

anil saini

Hi experts,

We have a web portal where we are planning to integrate our tableau dashboards via trusted token authentication.

Portal: we have 20 users(which are 20 unique customers i.e. organization to which we serve our product).

Tableau: we have 1 single dashboard which we need to show for all 20 users, but with their data only.

To achieve this, we are planning to develop only one dashboard and we''ll pass the customer name/id along with the URL which we place in our portal to embed tableau reports.

my concern is using this approach, I am serving 20 customers with only 1 tableau user, does this violate tableau's licensing?

also, if it does, what's the best and cost-efficient approach to achieve this?

regards,

Anil

• 1. Re: one user to embed tableau report in portal
          kumar bharat

Hi Anil,

Two options i can suggest,you can think on it and give it a try:

1) You can use the row level security feature in tableau.

it will keep your data secure and show relevant data to right users.

2) custom views

one user can create custom views for 20 diff user and share it.

Hope it helps.

BR,

bharat

• 2. Re: one user to embed tableau report in portal
            Sankarmagesh Rajan

Hi Anil,

We can create site users and try this. but single user and doing this is not good.

Don't try with single user with distribute customer data.

Better buy unlimited license and use it for each customers.

In single dashboard we can restrict the data with users via user level calculations.

Refer

Create a User Filter and Secure it for Publishing

Thanks

sankar

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: one user to embed tableau report in portal
              anil saini

Hi Rajan,

Buying unlimited license will cost a lot. that is what we can't afford.

I just want to understand if I am using the approach which I explained. will that violate tableau licensing terms?

• 4. Re: one user to embed tableau report in portal
                anil saini

Bharat,

2) custom views

one user can create custom views for 20 diff user and share it.

My end user doesn't want to go to Tableau, Portal is the only place where we want to give analytics section along with what we are offering right now. So, this option is invalid in my case.

1) You can use the row level security feature in the tableau.

=> for row-level security, I need to create 20 users in the tableau, for which I need to buy 20 license, which is quite not affordable.

=> while integration it with portal we have to use SSO in that scenario, which is what we are not using right now. we are using trusted authentication.

• 5. Re: one user to embed tableau report in portal
                  kumar bharat

Hi Anil,

you are  mistaken.

custom views

20 views can be created and placed in folder  using a single user id for diff business criteria or tableau schedules can be created with single user  id and output gets redirected to a folder and then programmatically u can retrieve and project the report to individual user.it all depends on how u implement.

row level security

there are many possibilities here using username function and other ways to integrate.

it can be  implemented at DB level and tableau level.

i suggest please read, there is stuff online,plenty of stuff and solutions it all depends on the way its implemented and landscape designed in a cost effective way without procuring many licenses.

hope it helps.

BR,

bharat