13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2018 11:12 AM by Garrett Granger

2018.1 Google Analytics refresh field errors

Dave Robertson

Hi,

I'm connecting to our google analytics account to pull through the previous day's content performance and I'm seeing errors in 2018.1 that I wasn't getting in 10.5. When refreshing the data source (google analytics is the sole source) I get error messages as per the below. I am very confused as the some of the errors in the message box below are telling me basic fields in GA do not exist? The calculated fields are very simple formulas to calculate bounce rate, percentage of pageviews that were entrances and a simple returning users calculation.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? I didn't have these issues refreshing the data in 10.5?

Errors for 'Sheet 1':

Field '[google-analytics.1dps70c0vxas7019pq5md0rxh0gz].[none:ga:date:qk]' which is included for filtering does not exist.

Field '[google-analytics.1dps70c0vxas7019pq5md0rxh0gz].[none:ga:pagePathLevel1:nk]' which is included for filtering does not exist.

Field '[google-analytics.1dps70c0vxas7019pq5md0rxh0gz].[none:ga:pagePathLevel2:nk]' is undefined, ignoring sort specification.

Field '[google-analytics.1dps70c0vxas7019pq5md0rxh0gz].[usr:Calculation_184647648127737857:qk:1]' which is included for filtering does not exist.

• 1. Re: 2018.1 Google Analytics refresh field errors
          Ciaran Bource

HI Dave,

If you check directly in Google Analytics, can you see these fields that Tableau considers missing ?

As for the calculations I suppose it would be the ones using the missing fields ?

Ciaran

• 2. Re: 2018.1 Google Analytics refresh field errors
            Dave Robertson

Hi Ciaran,

I can see the fields in GA. When I build the dash, Tableau has no problems showing the correct data and my calculated fields have no errors. The issues only arise when I open the dash and try to refresh the data to reflect the previous day's GA data. Then Tableau gives me the above error messages.

Incredibly frustrating as I am trying to share a simple daily viz with colleagues to inform them how content on our site performed the previous day.

i hope someone at Tableau can help. Is this a bug?

Regards,

Dave

• 3. Re: 2018.1 Google Analytics refresh field errors
              Ciaran Bource

Hi Dave,

This seems strange indeed. Could you please have a look at the following article, regarding the refresh.

Published Google Analytics Extract Refresh Does Not Complete | Tableau Software

Also are you using the Google Analytics Connector ? Is the data source published ?

If you are only using Tableau Desktop and the data source is not published do you get a authentication request when refreshing ?

Alternatively, I suggest opening a case with our support team directly.

Support & Services | Tableau Software

Ciaran

• 4. Re: 2018.1 Google Analytics refresh field errors
                Dave Robertson

Hi Ciaran,

This is very strange? I am only using desktop, when I do a data refresh I have a browser window open to request authentication.

I'll open a case directly.

Thank you for your help on this,

Dave

• 5. Re: 2018.1 Google Analytics refresh field errors
                  Dmitry Chudinovskikh

Hi Dave,

Just wanted to piggyback on this thread since I am facing exactly the same issue.

Whenever I open the data source pane and re-connect to Google Analytics in browser, Tableau gives me a bunch of error messages about non-existing fields. It works fine if I delete all the calculated fields, filtered fields etc. (but then it becomes pointless to even use Tableau).

I was wondering if you managed to resolve your issue, as I think that mine is very similar to yours.

Thanks!

Some of the errors I'm getting:

Field '[google-analytics.1duhnjb079laws1253uoc1674h8h].[mn:ga:date:ok]' which is included for filtering does not exist.

Field '[google-analytics.1duhnjb079laws1253uoc1674h8h].[none:ga:channelGrouping:nk]' which is included for filtering does not exist.

Field '[google-analytics.1duhnjb079laws1253uoc1674h8h].[none:ga:channelGrouping:nk]' is undefined, ignoring sort specification.

Field '[google-analytics.1duhnjb079laws1253uoc1674h8h].[none:ga:pageTitle:nk]' which is included for filtering does not exist.

• 6. Re: 2018.1 Google Analytics refresh field errors
                    Dave Robertson

Hey Dmitry,

I have not resolved this issue and the fix suggested by Tableau doesn't work either. For now I'm having to create any GA viz in 10.5 which doesn't have any of these issues.

Sorry I can't be more helpful!

Dave

• 7. Re: 2018.1 Google Analytics refresh field errors
                      Marcus Campbell

Hi

I've had similar issues with workbooks that use the GA data source that have worked without fail for weeks are now unable to refresh since upgrading to Tableau Desktop 2018.1. When working with a workbook which utilises a GA data source, I receive a message from Tableau Desktop complaining that authentification has failed due to incorrect username and password. This error message is presented before Tableau requests for permission to allow access to the GA data via the Oauth web page permission.

Has anyone managed to resolve this issue or discovered a workaround?

• 8. Re: 2018.1 Google Analytics refresh field errors
                        Arran Sadlier

Exact same issue, pretty critical for marketing team.

• 9. Re: 2018.1 Google Analytics refresh field errors
                          Ciaran Bource

HI Arran,

For any critical issues, I suggest opening a case directly with our support team.

Support & Services | Tableau Software

Ciaran

• 10. Re: 2018.1 Google Analytics refresh field errors
                            Arran Sadlier

Case submitted, will update with findings.

• 11. Re: 2018.1 Google Analytics refresh field errors
                              Arran Sadlier

This worked for me...

1. Open the workbook in Tableau Desktop 2018.1.
                              2. Select the Data menu > 'Refresh All Extracts...''
                              3. Click 'Refresh on the Refresh All Extracts' dialog box that appears.
                              4. Sign in to the Google account and then click 'Allow' when prompted.
                              5. Then go to Data Source tab and update the date range if required

Do the above instead of initially going to the Data Source tab and trying to refresh from there.

Courtesy of Tech Support.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: 2018.1 Google Analytics refresh field errors
                                Kaz Kida

Dear all

This page seems to be the official opinion from Tableau.

Error in Tableau Desktop 2018 1 0 when Opening Workbooks Connected to Google Analytics | Tableau Software

They say this issue is under investigation.  In 2018.2 beta the issue seems not to have solved yet, regretfully.

Kazuhiro Kida

• 13. Re: 2018.1 Google Analytics refresh field errors
                                  Garrett Granger

I am having the same issue in 2018.1. Built the dashboard fine, but when I reopen the workbook, it asks me to reauthenticate with Google and then wipes out all of these fields in all of my sheets.

Error message:

"Errors occurred while reloading the data source.

Errors for 'C/D Site - Paths to Listings Global Report':

Field '[google-analytics.1bubobf1dfpwll19iwkgu1oa6f5y].[none:ga:eventCategory:nk]' which is included for filtering does not exist.

Field '[google-analytics.1bubobf1dfpwll19iwkgu1oa6f5y].[tdy:ga:date:qk]' which is included for filtering does not exist.

Errors for 'Event Action Listing Path':

Field '[google-analytics.1bubobf1dfpwll19iwkgu1oa6f5y].[none:ga:eventAction:nk]' which is included for filtering does not exist.

Field '[google-analytics.1bubobf1dfpwll19iwkgu1oa6f5y].[none:ga:eventAction:nk]' is undefined, ignoring sort specification.

Field '[google-analytics.1bubobf1dfpwll19iwkgu1oa6f5y].[none:ga:eventCategory:nk]' which is included for filtering does not exist.

Field '[google-analytics.1bubobf1dfpwll19iwkgu1oa6f5y].[tdy:ga:date:qk]' which is included for filtering does not exist.

Field '[google-analytics.1bubobf1dfpwll19iwkgu1oa6f5y].[usr:Calculation_3549469843558371331:nk:1]' which is included for filtering does not exist.

Errors for 'Events by C/D Site Template':

Field '[google-analytics.1bubobf1dfpwll19iwkgu1oa6f5y].[none:Calculation_3549469843522400256:nk]' is undefined, ignoring sort specification.

Errors for 'Rolling Report':

Field '[google-analytics.1bubobf1dfpwll19iwkgu1oa6f5y].[Top 10 Events]' which is included for filtering does not exist.

Field '[google-analytics.1bubobf1dfpwll19iwkgu1oa6f5y].[none:ga:eventAction:nk]' which is included for filtering does not exist.

Field '[google-analytics.1bubobf1dfpwll19iwkgu1oa6f5y].[none:ga:eventAction:nk]' is undefined, ignoring sort specification.

Field '[google-analytics.1bubobf1dfpwll19iwkgu1oa6f5y].[tdy:ga:date:qk]' which is included for filtering does not exist."