6 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2018 10:14 AM by Tableau learner

Custom parameter value change in tableau desktop

Tableau learner

Hi All,

I am having a hard time in achieving a requirement which is ..

1.I have a parameter called Rep period which will hold all the values like YTD,MTD,QTD,PY,13 weeks and lastly date range text.

2.When a user opts for date range ,a start date and end date parameter should display else the values for start date and end date should be NA for other selections.

Any suggestions please .

Thanks in Advance.

• 1. Re: Custom parameter value change in tableau desktop
          Joe Oppelt

Yes, you can pop out objects (such as parameters) when certain conditions on the dashboard occur.

Do you have a sample workbook?  I can show you how.

• 2. Re: Custom parameter value change in tableau desktop
            Tableau learner

Hi Joe,

Thank you for the quick reply.I have build a sample dashboard.

In my requirement I am getting YTD,MTD and QTD values directly from the DB table ,with their start date and end date.

What I need is when I select Date Range in the 1st parameter then only the start date and end date parameter should pop up.else for other selections it should not be visible to the user.

Could you please guide me here.

• 3. Re: Custom parameter value change in tableau desktop
              Joe Oppelt

In the attached I made a sheet called Pop Out Parameters.  I made a calc that just grabs the value of the selection parameter, and I used it as a filter so that it only displays anything when the value of the parameter is "Date Range".

I made a wide container on Dashboard 1 that has the sheet, and the two date parameters.  I set the date params to fixed width, but not the pop out sheet.  And I hid the title of the pop out sheet.  Now change the value of Select parameter and see what it does.

On dashboard 2 I repositioned that container so that most of it is off the dashboard.  (You can use a negative value for the x- or y-coordinate to push something off the dashboard.)  Now when the pop-out sheet shrinks, the two date parameters slide to the left, and the get positioned off the view of the dashboard.  Select "Date Range" and the pop-out sheet expands, pushing the parameters onto the dashboard.

This technique is called popping.

PS:  on the pop out sheet I added a bogus dimension just so that there is something simple on either rows or columns.  If you don't have a dimension on either shelf, even if the sheet goes blank it does not completely disappear on the dashboard.  Also I formatted the sheet so it has no lines and so the text is white (so that it doesn't show up on the dashboard when part of it sticks out when it pushes the parameters into view.)  You should also disable tooltips on that sheet in case the user ever clicks in that space.  I didn't do that here, but you can get that.

• 4. Re: Custom parameter value change in tableau desktop
                Tableau learner

Thank you so much Joe. Appreciate your help .

I was replicating the same but I am not getting the fixed width option.its only giving fixed height. am I missing something in following your steps.

• 5. Re: Custom parameter value change in tableau desktop
                  Joe Oppelt

Do you have a vertical container instead of a horizontal container?  You can do it that way too, but it would have to pop down from the top.

Otherwise, upload what you have and I'll take a look.

• 6. Re: Custom parameter value change in tableau desktop
                    Tableau learner

Thank you so much Joe.I have replicated the same.It worked like a champ..