6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2018 11:26 AM by Joe Oppelt

Is it possible to have a Pop-Up Floating Worksheet/Textbox window appear, upon Selecting another worksheet?

Hema Subhash

Is it possible to make a floating worksheet/textbox (containing only text) appear centrally in a dashboard, above existing worksheets, when a user clicks on a worksheet (formatted as a button)? Can this be achieved using dashboard actions?

It is also necessary that this pop-up worksheet/textbox disappears when the user clicks elsewhere on the dashboard. Additionally, when this pop-up worksheet/textbox is displayed, it is required that the keyboard focus is on this pop-up until the user clicks elsewhere.

As of now, the help text in the dashboard is being displayed as a tooltip - and tooltips are not being read by a screen reader and that comes in the way of the client's ADA Compliance requirements. Also, we are using Tableau Desktop 10.2 and I've tested the screen readability using JAWs and Windows narrator - neither of them read tableau 10.2 tooltips - which makes charts and dashboards inaccessible to those with visual disabilities. Text-boxes, on the other hand, are read by screen-readers and hence this requirement.

I've attached a sample workbook mimicking the need.

• 1. Re: Is it possible to have a Pop-Up Floating Worksheet/Textbox window appear, upon Selecting another worksheet?
          Joe Oppelt

There are ways.

Let me ask some questions though.  Your workbook shows the text box in the center of the dashboard.  Popping it to that position would use a container that has an extra pop-out sheet which would  "grow" when the pop-out condition occurs (such as when the "HELP" button gets clicked), and that container would float over the other stuff on the dashboard.  The pop-out container would occupy space overlaying the profit and sales sheets.  In Desktop on 10.2 (or in any version actually) you would not be able to click on the underlying sheets, even when the pop-out is not popped out because the container is in the way.  But in 10.2 (and 10.3) if the workbook is published, the user WOULD be able to click on the underlying sheets when the pop-out is not popped out.

However, starting in 10.4 Tableau development changed the behavior of overlaying containers so that they cannot be drilled through any more.  So the specific behavior you laid out in your sample workbook might not behave the way you want starting with 10.4.

So my question:  Does the message sheet have to OVERLAY the existing sheets?  Or would it be OK for the message sheet to bump the data sheets out of the way until it is clicked and cleared?

• 2. Re: Is it possible to have a Pop-Up Floating Worksheet/Textbox window appear, upon Selecting another worksheet?
            Joe Oppelt

So, at a minimum, in the attached workbook (saved as V10.2) on "Dashboard" I have added a container with Sheet 4 and your text box.

Click the "show Help" sheet and unclick it.  You'll see Sheet 4 expand and disappear as the action engages and clears.  And when sheet 4 expands, it pushes the text box down in the container.

Now go to Dashboard (2).  I positioned the container at a negative value for the y-position.  When Sheet 4 expands, it pushes the text box into view, and when the action is cleared the text box moves into negative space off the dashboard.  (Click where the remnants of the container reside.  You'll see that you cannot drill onto the sheet where the container is, but when you publish this on 10.2 you WILL be able to click on the underlying sheets.)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Is it possible to have a Pop-Up Floating Worksheet/Textbox window appear, upon Selecting another worksheet?
              Joe Oppelt

The technique I used is called popping.

I know this isn't fully what you asked for, but it's a start toward getting you what you need.  For instance, I know you want to be able to click anywhere on the dashboard to clear it.  I can do that too, but first I want to get this step on the table.  And before going any further, I want to discuss the repercussions of this technique when you upgrade to 10.4 or later.  Your user will NOT be able to drill through to the underlying sheets starting in 10.4.

So if you plan to upgrade, and if you want the users to click on the underlying sheets for tooltips or for other actions, this method won't serve you fully.

What I propose is to have all the stuff you want on the dashboard to be loaded into a container, and let the popping behavior push that hole container down when the message sheet gets displayed.  Before I work up an example of that, I want to make sure it would be a workable solution.  I don't want to go through all that if you won't be able to use it.

• 4. Re: Is it possible to have a Pop-Up Floating Worksheet/Textbox window appear, upon Selecting another worksheet?
                Hema Subhash

Hi Joe -Thank you so much that detailed reply. Yes, given the constraints of the user not being able to click on the underlying containers when the pop-up is up, I could still make the Help Text, "bump out" the containers with the charts.

• 5. Re: Is it possible to have a Pop-Up Floating Worksheet/Textbox window appear, upon Selecting another worksheet?
                  Hema Subhash

Thank you once again for your detailed reply. I think the popping technique is the best option for now, given that it would be upward compatible if our client decides to upgrade to a newer version of Tableau.

• 6. Re: Is it possible to have a Pop-Up Floating Worksheet/Textbox window appear, upon Selecting another worksheet?
                    Joe Oppelt

In the attached on Dashboard 3 I changed the text box to a sheet.  (We can mess with centering and formatting as you need.)  I did this so that we can put an action on the message box as well.

So in this dashboard I have all the data sheets in a container.  And I have that pop-out container still set up as it was.  Then I made a GIANT container into which I put the pop-out container, and below it the data sheet containers.  Again I position that whole mechanism starting at a negative y-axis position so that things can hide and pop out as needed.  (Oh, and I added a blank object between the pop-out and the data container for spacing purposes.

So now when you select "Click Here" the mechanism pops down, and when you clear "Click here" it pops back up.

Next I did Dashboard 4.  First of all I added a second data source.  (Tiny excel file attached to this reply.)  I want to be able to pass one value to the pop-out sheet to pop it out, and another value to hide it away, and it's easy to do that when the pop-out sheet comes from a second data source.  See Sheet 5.  It's the same principle as Sheet 4 was, but I force the sheet to have only one value ( "a" ) from the second data source.  (Note:  I made a copy of the dimension field so that filters don't override each other.  So the sheet only displays when "a" is passed to it because the copy of the dimension filter is set to "a".)

Now I pass "a" to the pop-out sheet when the user clicks the "Click Here" sheet, and I pass "b" when the user clicks any other sheet.  Thus, the pop-out displays when "Click Here" gets clicked, and it goes away when any other sheet gets clicked.

Pay close attention to the settings on the Dashboard 4 actions in the section for "Clearing the selection will".  On Dashboard 3 I had selected "leave the filter", which is how the popping in and out was set up.  But on Dashboard 4 I use different settings.  For "Click Here" that setting leaves the pop-out activated even when the user clears the "click here" sheet.  But for the other sheets, it leaves the action de-activated.  So one sheet pops it out. and leaves it out.  And the other sheets clears it out and leaves it cleared out.

It takes some playing around with these settings to grab how they behave.

Anyway, there it is.  A rough approximation of what I think you are looking for.

One last thing.  You asked to clear the message when you click ANYWHERE on the dashboard.  What I have here requires you to click on an actual sheet.  Is that sufficient?  We can still hack up "ANYWHERE" if needed, but maybe this is good enough.  Let me know.