3 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2018 10:29 AM by patrick.byrne.0

Prep thinks OneDrive directory does not exist when writing hyper

Owen Price

I'm getting started with using Prep. I have a very simple cleaning flow that combines some Excel sheets, merges some columns, simple stuff. When I output to csv, it works. When I output to tde, it works. When I try to output to hyper, it only works if I haven't selected a directory in my OneDrive directory.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem?

I get this error when trying to run the flow:

In the error list, I get this (blacked out=my one drive folder in my user directory)

2018-04-27 12_17_43-Tableau Prep - Flow1_.png

• 1. Re: Prep thinks OneDrive directory does not exist when writing hyper
          mortenbodaugaard.jrgensen

I have this exact same problem.

I have created a ticket with Tableau Support for this.

• 2. Re: Prep thinks OneDrive directory does not exist when writing hyper
            Owen Price

I had a call with the tech support guy.

It's a known issue with writing hyper files to any network location. Apparently OneDrive is treated the same way as a network drive.

The short-term solution is that we have to save hyper files outside of OneDrive folders. Not ideal, but there it is.

He asked that I do the following:

1. Close all Tableau Prepp and Online Sync Client instances on the computer.

2. Navigate to the My Tableau Prep Repository folder and rename the current Logs folder to "Logs_Backup". This effectively archives the outdated logs and will force Tableau Prep to create a new and clean Logs folder when the issue is reproduced.

3. Start Tableau Prep and reproduce the issue.

4. Note the date and time when the issue occurred.

5. Close all Tableau Prep sessions that are open on your computer. This step ensures that all errors and relevant information are recorded in the log file.

6. Navigate to the My Tableau Prep Repository folder.

7. Right-click the "Logs" folder (Not the "Logs_Backup" folder we created earlier), and select Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder.

8. Send the resulting .zip archive to Tableau Technical Support.

• 3. Re: Prep thinks OneDrive directory does not exist when writing hyper
              patrick.byrne.0

Hello Owen,

Another option would be to save the .hyper extract in a location other than the One Drive repository.

Cheers,

Byrne, Patrick