1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 26, 2018 2:19 PM by Deepak Rai

Divide one percent of total calculation by another split on dimensions

James Tan

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to divide one table calculation by another split on a dimension in Tableau 10.3.10.The table calculation I want to use is percent of total using pane (down). The formula for this on the shelf is COUNT([price]) / TOTAL(COUNT([price])). For example if there are two countries US and Canada, and I'm looking at the percent of total sales within each country made up by different items, I want to divide each item with the US percentage over the Canadian percentage, so I can see which items make up more of the distribution in each country.

When I try to create a calculated field filtering for the dimension I'm splitting on, it says it cannot mix aggregate and non-aggregate arguments with this function. I've tried using a bunch of fixed fields like the count for each item and the total fixed by the correct dimensions, but in this case, I can't filter out items and have the total be recalculated and the percentage be only for those items I haven't filtered out rather than the overall total.

Is there any other way to do this?

Best,

James