3 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2018 3:02 PM by Mark McGhee

Users are Unable to publish in to server

Ramesh Narayanadasu

Hi,

I am new to tableau admin . just recently got a weird situation from most of the users.

server & desktop version are same : 10.0

recently no server side changes

The below situation is for most of the users (all are having publisher role) :-

case 1 : When  a user publish a workbook (with extracted data embedded) to a site , get a dialog saying that it is "sending data to server" ( almost 1 hr ). When click Cancel it brings up a dialog with publishing options and once  submit that it uploads the workbook.

case 2 : When  a user publish a workbook (with live) to a site , get a dialog saying that it is "sending data to server" ( almost 1 hr ). When click Cancel it gives below error.

(" An error occurred when publishing the workbook.")

(" An unknown error related to remote content was detected (408)")

any help really appreciable.

Thanks,

Ramesh

• 1. Re: Users are Unable to publish in to server
          Carisa Chang

Hi Ramesh,

It should not take an hour to publish to Tableau Server, I recommend you open a case with Tableau Technical Support to troubleshoot this issue. It seems as though there is serious network slowness in your network, or resource issues for Tableau Server - Support can help you figure out what the cause is.

• 2. Re: Users are Unable to publish in to server
            Ramesh Narayanadasu

Thanks for reply. i did raise support case .they are still investigating.  just for information our server configuration is like below.

1. Installed Tableau Version: 10.0
            2. Server Bit: 64-bit
            3. Processor: 4 Core
            4. RAM: 16 GB
            5. free Disk space on installed drive: 30 GB
            6. Authentication Mode: AD
            7. Users : 130
            8. Concurrent users : not more than 10

and also attaching recent log , when user is trying to publish workbook from his desktop to server.

• 3. Re: Users are Unable to publish in to server
              Mark McGhee

Hi Ramesh,

Is this a Production instance or more of a Dev environment?    I don't want to say for certain that's the problem but I have a 2core 16GB laptop that I run Tableau Server and it's not very fast.  I could only imagine if I were to share it out with 10 co-workers

Here's a link to our tech specs.  For a Proof of Concept environment you'd be okay but if his is Production the one deployment is undersized

All Technical Specifications | Tableau Software

The minimum specifications are only suggested for prototyping and testing of Tableau Server. The installer checks for the minimum system requirements and will not proceed on computers with less than these hardware minimums:

• 2 cores
              • 64-bit processor 
              • 8 GB system memory
              • 15 GB minimum free disk space

The minimum configuration recommended for Production usage of Tableau Server is based on these hardware specifications:

Single computer
              • 8 physical cores, 2.0 GHz or higher CPU
              • 64-bit processor
              • 32 GB system memory
              • 50 GB minimum free disk space