3 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2018 1:21 PM by Dan Gordon

Pivot and Combine SQL Date Fields

Dan Gordon

Hello everyone,

I have a problem I am hoping an experienced sql developer can assist me with.  I have an SQL table that has the following fields:

AccountNumber

QueryID

QueryResponse

I only want to query for 6 specific QueryIDs:

'ED.DECADMD01' -- Attending Contact Date

'ED.DECADMT01' -- Attending Contact Time

'ED.D2ADMTPROV' -- Attending Contact Name

'ARRA.EDD2AYN' -- Admit Y/N - (Query Response a 1 = 'Y' or 2 = 'N' or 3 = 'Obsv'

'ED.D2ADMDATE' - Decision to Admit Date

'ED.D2ADMTIME' -- Decision to Admit Time

When you query these ID's you can return 6 records for each AccountNumber.  What I want to do is create a single record for each AccountNumber that has the following additional fields:

AttendingContactDT  - where the QueryID = 'ED.DECADMD01' and 'ED.DECADMT01' then combine the Query Reponses for both QueryIds to create a DateTime field

AttendingContacted - return the QueryResponse value where QueryID = 'ED.D2ADMTPROV'

DecisionToAdmit - return the Query Response for when Query ID = 'ARRA.EDD2AYN' where 1= 'YES' or 2='No' or 3= 'Obsv'

DecToAdmitDT -- where QueryID = 'ED.D2ADMDATE' and 'ED.D2ADMTIME' then combine the QueryReponses for both to create a DateTime field

I have included a sample table of the raw data.  Any assistance on this is greatly appreciated. 

Dan 

• 1. Re: Pivot and Combine SQL Date Fields
          Jonathan Drummey

Hi Dan,

Is this Meditech by any chance?? My general way of handling this kind of "pivot/crosstab" operation in SQL with complex criteria is to use an aggregate query that would look something like this for MS SQL Server:

SELECT [AccountNumber],

MAX(CASE WHEN [QueryID] = 'ED.DECADMD01' THEN [QueryResponse] END) + ' ' + MAX(CASE WHEN [QueryID] = 'ED.DECADMT01' THEN [QueryResponse] END AS [AttendingContactDT],

MAX(CASE WHEN [QueryID] = 'ED.D2ADMTPROV' THEN [QueryResponse] END) AS [AttendingContacted],

MAX(CASE WHEN [QueryID] = 'ARRA.EDD2AYN' AND [QueryResponse] IN (1,2,3) THEN [QueryResponse] END) AS [DecisionToAdmit],

MAX(CASE WHEN [QueryID] = 'ED.D2ADMDATE' THEN [QueryResponse] END) + ' ' + MAX(CASE WHEN [QueryID] = 'ED.D2ADMTIME' THEN [QueryResponse] END AS [DecToAdmitDT]

FROM [table]

GROUP BY [AccountNumber]

A few notes:

- for the two datetimes you could wrap everything on each line up to the AS inside a CAST() or CONVERT().

- for the DecisionToAdmit text you'd get the most performance in Tableau by using Tableau aliases. If you really wanted text then I'd wrap the MAX in a CASE statement.

Jonathan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Pivot and Combine SQL Date Fields
            mark.welsh

Looks like Meditech to me! 

• 3. Re: Pivot and Combine SQL Date Fields
              Dan Gordon

This worked like a champ!  Thank you Jonathan!