3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2018 4:51 AM by kumar bharat

Advice needed - Tableau Online or Server, as an upgrade to Public?

Caroline Beavon

Hi all

As usual, I'm getting in a tangle with the Tableau options and hoped someone here could help me out.

I have a Tableau Desktop license and I create public interactive tools for my clients, which I embed on their websites (either from my account or I set them up a Public account)

Some stories/dashboards are struggling speed-wise and I've been asked to explore the options for 'upgrading' to a server/online option - without losing the ability for the public to see the visualisations embedded on a normal website.

Is this possible with Tableau Online or Server? Can I have unlimited people viewing and interactive with an embedded version? (they're happy to pay some costs but having viewers 'sign in' or subscribe is not an option).

Any advice welcome ...

Thank you

• 1. Re: Advice needed - Tableau Online or Server, as an upgrade to Public?
          Paulo Dantas

Hi Caroline, try see how much cost each solution. Maybe Tableau Online is much cheapest than Server.

What kind of struggling speed happens?

Cheers.

• 2. Re: Advice needed - Tableau Online or Server, as an upgrade to Public?
            Caroline Beavon

Thank you for your reply.

My dashboards usually contain a map with several filters, tooltips etc.. The whole experience is very slow, and as it's for public use we want it to be as fun and as quick as possible.

I admit - there may be design issues in my dashboards, as they've been developed - so I'm also looking at ways to speed things up in that way.

• 3. Re: Advice needed - Tableau Online or Server, as an upgrade to Public?
              kumar bharat

Hi Caroline,

From your question and the replies so far i understand that you environment has embedded tableau dashboards.i have three suggestions to make:

1. to improve performance try integrating javascript api with tableau as it has lot of options starting from  filters,rendering faster.
              2. do a performance tracking at tableau server level by enabling the record performance option  and identify the bottle necks and then resolve them with workarounds.
              3. work closely with your tableau server and network administrator to see what can be improved  environment wise to give faster dashboards.

coming to cost perspective:

tableau online is cloud based and again  offpremise and onpremise may vary cost wise from client server model (tableau server and tableau desktop) which you are using currently.

unless the dashboards are designed properly it will not matter if it is tableau online or other product because if the design and architecture is not proper it would be slower.

please do a performance tracking by enabling record performance option and identify the bottle necks and as final approach discuss with tableau support regarding the cost benefits and then think about moving to other tableau products other efforts don't give fruitful results.

hope it answers.

BR,

bharat

1 of 1 people found this helpful