3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2018 1:43 PM by Jim Dehner

Help with data sources & connections for feedback + revenue (beginner)

Sam Epstein

Hi guys,

I'm very new to Tableau and I'm really excited to dive into it and learn all the amazing viz tools it has to offer. I'm currently working on looking at two data sets (customer feedback from stores and store revenue) to see if there are any correlations. However, when I merge the data sets, it duplicates the weekly revenue multiple times. I've tried troubleshooting a bunch of times and nothing seems to work so I'm probably missing something. Also, both of the files are xls and I have tried where the customer feedback is xls and the revenue file is csv and the customer feedback duplicates so it skews the rest of the data. I attached some photos that hopefully help.

Would appreciate all the feedback I can get!

• 1. Re: Help with data sources & connections for feedback + revenue (beginner)
          Jim Dehner

Hi Sam

First welcome to Tableau

we prefer to see the workbook in a twbx format - so there would be actually some files to work with

I look at your images and you are trying to jing the files together on store name -

you have unique stores but may responses from each store (a one to many relationship) so what will happen is that the store data will repeat for each store match in your survey data set (think like a vlookup in excel - you matched the store for each respondent from the store -

OK so what to do - because you know the data from you survey is unique to the Responder at the store but the store data (like the sales/ revenue whatever) is repeated - you could take the min() or avg() of the store data and the sum() of the respondent data -

also see the link below for a 1 hour video on how to use Tableau to vizualize you survey data - time well spent

Think Data Thursday - Visualizing Survey Data - YouTube

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Help with data sources & connections for feedback + revenue (beginner)
            Sam Epstein

Hi Jim,

Thank you for responding and I will definitely watch that video (already bookmarked). Just a quick q, where would I input the min() or avg() of the store data and the sum() of the respondent data? Is this a formula that I would use in Tableau or excel?

• 3. Re: Help with data sources & connections for feedback + revenue (beginner)
              Jim Dehner

You will either be writing calculations or you will bring the measures to the viz -

like this calculations

or

the video will give some more examples

Jim

1 of 1 people found this helpful