4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2018 11:32 AM by Jim Dehner

FIXED not working

Charles Sasso

I have this calculated column and it works perfectly EXCEPT for two records. My theory is they are not the MAX value across all records BUT they are the MAX values in the dimension [Participant Survey ID] so why won't it work?

{ FIXED [Participant Survey ID]: MAX(

IF STARTSWITH([Question Text],"Area") THEN [Answer Text] 

ELSE "Error" END

) }

• 1. Re: FIXED not working
          Branden Kornell

Are there limits on your data?

Keep in mind that FIXED applies to the entire data set, unless you are using Context filters.

If you're applying the IF statement to an individual survey, you should not need to use FIXED at all.

• 2. Re: FIXED not working
            Jim Dehner

Hi

It would be easier looking at the data and your twbx workbook but look at the statement -

in words it says for each survey id - give me the Max Value of the answer or Error  so are there multiple records for survey id 3717404 and does one return and ERROR and the other something else that begins with the letters A-D?   the Max value with look in alphabetical order and select the  value based on that

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 3. Re: FIXED not working
              Charles Sasso

That may be the answer. The database has all the questions in one column and all the answers in another column. I’m trying to create a new column that uses the answer to the question starting with “Area” but other answers may be causing the error. I’ll check!

Thank you SO much

• 4. Re: FIXED not working
                Jim Dehner

Here is a thought - when faced with something like this I will use either extreme like ZZZZZ or AAAAAA instead of ERROR - then get rid of it by filtering it out

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.