2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2018 6:40 AM by Stephen Groff

Managing Extracts - Database Live, Reference Table Extract

Stephen Groff

Hi All,

I have a live table directly connected to our Oracle server, the other table I have joined to this is just a reference table and will never change.  I know the extract selection in the upper right corner, but I don't want to click Extract, unless it's only going to Extract the reference table only.  I want to leave the database connection live.  Is there a way to extract one but not the other?  Does it really matter?

Thanks

Steve

• 1. Re: Managing Extracts - Database Live, Reference Table Extract
          Jeevan Krishna

Hi Stephen,

For the questions of extracting only one table:

Its not possible to extract one of the tables in the join.

But the same can be emulated though data blending where your fact table can be left as a live connection and reference table can be created as an entirely new connection and similar logic of join can be implemented.

For the question of performance:

Performance in Live vs Extract modes do differ by a lot if there is very huge amount of data. However, if your data is less than million rows, you wouldn't see too much lag even in terms of live connection.

Also, if you are worried that one of your tables is always changing, there are options to schedule refresh on extracts on tableau server, which can keep your extract up to date based on your refresh cycle.

Hope this helps

Jeevan Krishna

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Managing Extracts - Database Live, Reference Table Extract
            Stephen Groff

Thanks Jeevan, appreciate answer... and the additional information.  Committing this to memory.  Thanks!

1 of 1 people found this helpful