7 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2018 5:07 AM by Kiran K

Compare values from two sheets

Kiran K

Hello everyone !

I have been trying to compare values from two sheets and show the difference in cross tab, have achieved it but by loading all values into parameter. Want to get rid off parameter and calculate it. In attached workbook, want to compare from Comparison chart to Marimekko chart based on selection. To get the difference I have inserted manually values in to parameter. This becomes maintenance as data will change time to time.

I have tried by duplicating data source and subtracting directly from one to two but values are wrong because of different structure in two sheets.

Developed on 10.3 Version

It will be very helpful if someone can help me out and please let me know if more information needed.

Thanks,

Kiran

• 1. Re: Compare values from two sheets
          Tim Dines

We are going to need your data in order to help.  Opening the twbx asks me to connect to a server.

• 2. Re: Compare values from two sheets
            Kiran K

Sorry.. Here is attached one

• 3. Re: Compare values from two sheets
              Kiran K

Hi Tim,

If you get a chance to look into, please let me know your thoughts !

Jonathan Drummey, your help kindly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kiran

• 4. Re: Compare values from two sheets
                Jonathan Drummey

Your workbook has a live connection to a published data source. You'll need to extract first before exporting the packaged workbook.

Can you explain in more detail what the comparison you are trying to make is?

Jonathan

• 5. Re: Compare values from two sheets
                  Kiran K

Hi Jonathan,

Here is file.

Have a requirement to show difference from "Comparison" sheet to "Marimekko" sheet base of parameters of Level of detail Customer, Level of Detail Product and Y-Axis. Have another parameter "Benchmark: Customer Level", have list of few dimensions to compare. Now I have manually added all corresponding values of dimensions into another parameter 'Benchmark: Customer Selection' to calculate the percent of total using LoD (exclude) function and subtracting this value from actual to get the difference, unable to achieve without  Benchmark: Customer Selection because these sheets have different (columns) structures.

Now want to move away Benchmark: Customer Selection parameter because values will change after extracts refresh and also have to select relative values in Benchmark: Customer Selection whenever Benchmark: Customer Level selection changes.

Thanks,

Kiran

• 6. Re: Compare values from two sheets
                    Jonathan Drummey

Hi Kiran,

Even with your longer description and packaged workbook there's a lot going on here with multiple table calculations, LOD expressions, parameter swapping for measures & dimensions, etc. It would take me at least a couple of hours of working on this (likely with some help from you) to figure out how it works, whether the calculations are doing what they are supposed to be doing (one sign that something odd is going on is that on the Marimekko there are some columns that add up to >100%), and then to figure out what changes need to be made and implement them. That's beyond the time I have available to do pro bono support, and given the complexity it may be beyond other forum volunteers as well. My suggestion would be to reach out to one of the many fine Tableau consultancies for some on-demand support. For example I used to work for DataBlick http://datablick.com and we'd offer that to help users get to the view they needed.

Jonathan

• 7. Re: Compare values from two sheets
                      Kiran K

Thank Jonathan spending time on this one.

Any one from community is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kiran