1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 24, 2018 1:38 AM by Taras Chornyi

PostgreSQL 10 (x64) foreign tables are not visible in some versions of Tableau Desktop

Taras Chornyi

Hi there,

I am using Tableau Desktop 10.5.0 (10500.17.1226.1925) 64-bits on WIndows 10 (x64) and Windows Server 2016 Datacenter (x64). I have data source which loads the data from PostgreSQL 10 x64. The data are coming from foreign data table. What is interesting is that ithin Windows 10 installation I am able to see foreign tables within tableau desktop, but on Windows Server 2016 - I can't. I even tried Tableau 10.4.6 on that version of WIndows and noticed the same behaviour - no foreign tables visible from within the Tableau Desktop.

I looked through the logs of postgres and found out that in case of WIndows 10 in executes the following query to obtain the

select relname, nspname, relkind from pg_catalog.pg_class c, pg_catalog.pg_namespace n where relkind in ('r', 'v', 'm', 'f') and nspname not in ('pg_catalog', 'information_schema', 'pg_toast', 'pg_temp_1') and n.oid = relnamespace order by nspname, relname

And for Windows Server 2016:

select relname, nspname, relkind from pg_catalog.pg_class c, pg_catalog.pg_namespace n where relkind in ('r', 'v') and nspname not in ('pg_catalog', 'information_schema', 'pg_toast', 'pg_temp_1') and n.oid = relnamespace order by nspname, relname

Is there any way on how can I identify what is wrong with my installations ? Could this be related to the version of JDBC driver used by Tableau Desktop ? Or this is somehow could be related to Tableau Desktop internals itself?

Best regards,

Taras Chornyi