1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 15, 2018 8:37 PM by Peter Fakan

Warning: Local folder discarded due to conflicts with remote folders

Lucy Trengel

Currently running Tableau Desktop 10.5, connecting to a CSV file on my local drive.

For my single CSV data source, I have created multiple folders to group all the data points.

Upon opening the Tableau file today, I received these warnings upon opening:

• Warning: Local folder 'Consumer' discarded due to conflicts with remote folders.
      • Warning: Local folder 'Assets' discarded due to conflicts with remote folders.
      • Warning: Local folder 'Consumer' discarded due to conflicts with remote folders.
      • Warning: Local folder 'Debt' discarded due to conflicts with remote folders.
      • Warning: Local folder 'Expenses' discarded due to conflicts with remote folders.
      • Warning: Local folder 'Income' discarded due to conflicts with remote folders.
      • Warning: Local folder 'Savings' discarded due to conflicts with remote folders.

When I click OK to that message, I get another popup box saying 'loading data for the first time...' etc (which is unexpected?)

It then loads everything fine except half my dimensions and nearly all my measures are missing folders and as a result, all of them are just in the root directory of the dimensions/measures.

What could be causing this?  I have to create all the folders again, which is annoying but not too big a problem - but moreso want to understand and stop this from happening again.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Warning: Local folder discarded due to conflicts with remote folders
          Peter Fakan

Hi Lucy,

There was an issue with .CSV files in 10.5.0 that was fixed up in 10.5.1 -

When you connected to a text or CSV file using most English locales other than English (United States), a collation::resolve: Unknown collation error would occur when you dragged a field to the view.

While the error doesn't sound precisely what was happening, I'd put it down to being related to that. The solution is to either upgrade to 10.5.1+ or to save your .csv as a .xlsx and load it as an excel table.

HTH

Peter