3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2018 8:18 AM by Jim Dehner

% Difference annotation (bar graph)

Sam Van Portfliet

Hello all,

I am looking to have something like the following.

I cant seem to find anything about how to get the line and percentage in red. I saw a graph from another company like this and my boss asked me to recreate it. I know you can do a percent difference table calculation, but we would want to be able to view the full values as well. any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Sam

• 1. Re: % Difference annotation (bar graph)
          Jim Dehner

Good morning

see the attached it shows 2 possible hacks to give you and a result

the first involves a calculated field and dual axis display then edit the axis

the calculation is nothing more that the % diff table calc wrapped in an if statement

if year(min([Order Date]))=2017 then

(ZN(SUM([Sales])) - LOOKUP(ZN(SUM([Sales])), -1)) / ABS(LOOKUP(ZN(SUM([Sales])), -1))else NULL end

the second places the bar chart on a Dashboard and floats a text container on the chart where you can enter static text

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: % Difference annotation (bar graph)
            Sam Van Portfliet

Jim,

Thanks for the help but I tried to use the formula you posted above the first picture and Im getting a aggregate error "cannot use aggregate and non aggregate...blah blahh" am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

• 3. Re: % Difference annotation (bar graph)
              Jim Dehner

Ok

Tableau needs to have all the values in a formula at the same level of aggregation - Sum() in the formula is an aggregation but [Year] is not aggregated

you can use min().max(),or Attr() to aggregate the year whatever is appropriate in the book

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.