6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2018 10:36 AM by Jim Dehner

Adding data to data sources sources

sean penner

Hello,

I am new to Tableau. We utilize a front end system that does not connect directly to tableau. As such, I have to run reports in excel from the system to connect to tableau. I would need to add new data each month to the existing data source.

For example, I would run a sales report for January and build my dashboard around this data. Once the dashboard is created, I would just need to continue to add data to the data source (i.e. February, March, etc.)

What is the best way to handle adding data to a manual data source each month?

Thanks,

Sean

• 1. Re: Adding data to data sources sources
          Jim Dehner

Good morning and welcome to Tableau

I would suggest wild card unions of the data files is the most used approach

see the link below

Union Your Data

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adding data to data sources sources
            Mike Mainzer

If you're simply adding records to the same table/file in excel, tableau will maintain it's connection to that data source as long as you don't change its location. All of your reports/dashboards in tableau will update whenever you update the underlying data source.

In order to see the updated data in tableau, you can manually refresh or set up automated refreshes.

• 3. Re: Adding data to data sources sources
              sean penner

Thank you Jim. I tried the union out with two data sources and it works great. However, when I do this the next data source that is added does not get the formatting and cleanup applied automatically like the first data source did. This report I am connecting required me to pivot the columns to rows. However, I can't seem to do that cleanly with the data source I joined to the first. See screenshot attached. Any suggestion on best practice to bring the data in cleanly?

Thanks,

Seandata source.PNG

• 4. Re: Adding data to data sources sources
                Jim Dehner

Hi

see below -

As I understood the question - you have a monthly file that contains the same type of data (ie dimensions and measures - columns ) and you wanted to have the new month of data appended to the existing

I expected to see your data source tab look like the one below - no join - but all the months stacked on one another

created it by dragging January to the right

selected New Union

drag feb over and dropped on January

once opened in tableau this is what the data looked like

attached are the excel source and the twbx workbook

Jim

• 5. Re: Adding data to data sources sources
                  sean penner

Thank you Jim. That worked great. I didn't realize I was joining the data at first and not creating a union. I will be in good shape now connecting my data on a regular basis.

• 6. Re: Adding data to data sources sources
                    Jim Dehner

Glad to help out

Jim