8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2018 8:48 AM by Marius Holden

Linking a larger map to a single constituent and back

Marius Holden

HI all, I am reposting the question because i am running in circles and I am not able to find a solution to a mapping problem. I am building a map with 14 European countries and display on tooltip some data, that's easy. By clicking on one country (let's say France) I should be able to open a new worksheet or visualise that specific country. Using filters I can link that first (European countries) to the second map (France) but the first one is not country sensitive so by clicking any country I end to the map of France. I saw what I would like to do here Tableau Public but I don't know how to realise such kind of map. I will be grateful if some of you can give me some indication about the kind of technique I could use.Thanks,

Marius Holden

• 1. Re: Linking a larger map to a single constituent and back
          Mike Mainzer

Can you post an image or attach a workbook so we can better understand your issue?

Also, if you like the example on Tableau Public, I suggest downloading it and reverse engineering how they built it. Then try to replicate it with your own data. This is the most effective way to learn when you're starting out.

Notice that he has two different dashboards. When you click one, it goes to the other. This is called an action filter, which you can create and edit by going to Dashboard >> Actions... and create a filter from there. Just follow the instructions to get the effect you want.

• 2. Re: Linking a larger map to a single constituent and back
            Tim Dines

This one does not do exactly the same thing, but has much of the same functionality and unlike the one you referenced, it can be downloaded and you can see how it works.

Tableau Public

• 3. Re: Linking a larger map to a single constituent and back
              Marius Holden

Dear Mike,many thanks for your quick reply.Here is the map realised in a worksheet (just beginning):

With this filter I can connect the map to another worksheet that shows a single country map:

here is the resulting map:

From this worksheet using this filter I can go back to the first map:

and I have 2 filters:

My problem is that I am not able to connect an highlighted single country from the 14 countries map to the corresponding single country map. The reverse doesn't seem a problem. I will be very thankful for any advice. Regards,Marius

• 4. Re: Linking a larger map to a single constituent and back
                Marius Holden

Dear Tim,many thanks for your reply. HI am attaching some picture that can perhaps better explain my question.

Here is the map realised in a worksheet (just beginning):

With this filter I can connect the map to another worksheet that shows a single country map:

here is the resulting map:

From this worksheet using this filter I can go back to the first map:

and I have 2 filters:

My problem is that I am not able to connect an highlighted single country from the 14 countries map to the corresponding single country map. The reverse doesn't seem a problem. I will be very thankful for any advice. Regards,Marius 

To: Marius Holden <mariusholden@yahoo.co.uk>

Sent: Thursday, 12 April 2018, 16:01

Subject: Re:  - Linking a larger map to a single constituent and back

#yiv0705792416 * #yiv0705792416 a #yiv0705792416 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv0705792416 #yiv0705792416 h1, #yiv0705792416 h2, #yiv0705792416 h3, #yiv0705792416 h4, #yiv0705792416 h5, #yiv0705792416 h6, #yiv0705792416 p, #yiv0705792416 hr {}#yiv0705792416 .yiv0705792416button td {}

|

Tableau Community 

|

reply from Tim Dines in Forums - View the full discussionThis one does not do exactly the same thing, but has much of the same functionality and unlike the one you referenced, it can be downloaded and you can see how it works.Tableau Public

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on Tableau Community

Start a new discussion in Forums by email or at Tableau Community

Following Linking a larger map to a single constituent and back in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by Tableau Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Tableau Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

• 5. Re: Linking a larger map to a single constituent and back
                  Marius Holden

Thank you for looking at the example. I did not realised that they were 2 dashboards connected. I went again to the example but I don't see how I can download it.

• 6. Re: Linking a larger map to a single constituent and back
                    Tim Dines

Unfortunately, I do not see your maps or attachments.   If my hunch is correct, you need to create a dashboard action that will act as a filter to move from one to the other.  Probably link them together by country.

• 7. Re: Linking a larger map to a single constituent and back
                      Marius Holden

Dear Tim,here is what I have built. I can go to England from the 14 countries and back but I cannot selecting another country go to the specific map.Thanks for advice.Tableau Public

Tableau Public

|

Sent: Thursday, 12 April 2018, 17:20

#yiv3656714680 * #yiv3656714680 a #yiv3656714680 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv3656714680 #yiv3656714680 h1, #yiv3656714680 h2, #yiv3656714680 h3, #yiv3656714680 h4, #yiv3656714680 h5, #yiv3656714680 h6, #yiv3656714680 p, #yiv3656714680 hr {}#yiv3656714680 .yiv3656714680button td {}

|

Tableau Community 

|

reply from Tim Dines in Forums - View the full discussionUnfortunately, I do not see your maps or attachments.   If my hunch is correct, you need to create a dashboard action that will act as a filter to move from one to the other.  Probably link them together by country.

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on Tableau Community

Following Linking a larger map to a single constituent and back in these streams: Inbox

You may unsubscribe instantly from Tableau Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

• 8. Re: Linking a larger map to a single constituent and back
                        Marius Holden

Here is the link showing what I would like to do. Unfortunately as for now I can only go to one country.Thanks for advice.Tableau Public

Tableau Public

|

Sent: Thursday, 12 April 2018, 15:41

#yiv9387943630 * #yiv9387943630 a #yiv9387943630 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv9387943630 #yiv9387943630 h1, #yiv9387943630 h2, #yiv9387943630 h3, #yiv9387943630 h4, #yiv9387943630 h5, #yiv9387943630 h6, #yiv9387943630 p, #yiv9387943630 hr {}#yiv9387943630 .yiv9387943630button td {}

|

Tableau Community 

|

reply from Mike Mainzer in Forums - View the full discussionCan you post an image or attach a workbook so we can better understand your issue?