4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2018 1:46 AM by anil saini

Tableau server and desktop licensing

harshitha k

Hi all,

I am new to Tableau and need help in deciding licenses we need. Suppose in our organisation we have 2 developers for creating reports, 10 employees who want view the reports and also the clients who are the consumers of the reports. Now my question is :

1.What are all the licenses required for the above mentioned situation?

2.Can Tableau reader be used by the clients to consume the reports?

Regards

Harshitha

• 1. Re: Tableau server and desktop licensing
          Aditya Singh

1. You need Tableau Server license and 2 desktop licenses to create dashboards which can be shared with any number of users using the report URL.

2. Yes, Tableau reader can be used to consume reports but it have it's pro's and con's.

You can check more using below links:

Licensing Overview

https://www.interworks.com/blog/bbausili/2015/12/22/when-use-tableau-reader

• 2. Re: Tableau server and desktop licensing
            harshitha k

Hi Aditya,

Can you further clarify my doubts:

1.How many server licenses will I require for sharing it my peers for

review purpose?What if I want to assign different roles to the users?

2.We want to embed the reports generated through Tableau Desktop in our

application and allow our clients(end users) to consume it.How can I do

this? Will I require a Tableau reader or server for this purpose?

Regards

Harshitha

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 4:51 PM, Aditya Singh <tableaucommunity@tableau.com>

• 3. Re: Tableau server and desktop licensing
              Aditya Singh

Hi Harshitha

Sorry for late response!

1. You can have one server license which can be used to activate DEV, UAT and Prod environment. You would need Tableau desktop licenses to create reports and dashboards to be shared with end users, these end users again depends on number of user licenses you have acquired.

2. You can share the links of the dashboards created and saved on server to your users, which they can access in any browser. These dashboards or views can also be embedded in your website if required.

Embed Views into Webpages

Hope it helps!

Regards

Aditya

• 4. Re: Tableau server and desktop licensing
                anil saini

1.How many server licenses will I require for sharing it my peers for

review purpose?What if I want to assign different roles to the users?

- case 1: sharing with employees: if only 1 role is required then take 1 else, based on different roles you need,
                suppose you want to give interactor role to 2 ppl in you organization, i would suggest you to create 1 user and both of them can share the same credentials

case2: for your customers: at least 1 login for each customer

Tableau online comes with default 1 user license and server comes with 10 user license. this can be customized based on your requirements

2.We want to embed the reports generated through Tableau Desktop in our

application and allow our clients(end users) to consume it.How can I do

this? Will I require a Tableau reader or server for this purpose?
                - To embedded report, either it should be on Tableau online or Tableau server, Tableau reader will not help you in this.
                how to embed tableau reports: link has been already shared by Aditya

I hope thats helpful .

1 of 1 people found this helpful