3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2018 11:27 AM by waqar ahmad

Renaming Items within Groups without having to Alias

waqar ahmad

Hi everyone,

quick question as I cant find the solution to this for the life of me. I have an existing dashboard that's already quite confusing because of it's complexity so I'm trying to avoid alias' where I can. Is anyone aware of a way to rename items within group hierarchies?

I'm trying to rename ETCS to something else within this screenshot. Thanks so much.

• 1. Re: Renaming Items within Groups without having to Alias
          Peter Fakan

Hi Waqar,

You can use calculated fields to rename groups which you can then drop into your groups (or just keep using the calculated field).

i.e.

if [group] = "ETCS" then "Other"

elseif [group] = "Other" then "Other"

elseif [group] = "1 more example" then "Other"

else [group]

end

• 2. Re: Renaming Items within Groups without having to Alias
            waqar ahmad

Hi Peter!

Thank you for your response. Although I'm looking to rename a member within the group, in this case, the ETCS member. I can rename the group itself using the "Rename" button next to "Group" within the Edit Group Dialogue but it wont light up the "Rename" button when I click on ETCS which is a member within (Which group I'm not sure because when I expand them I don't see it within any of the clipped group headings.). That brings me to wonder whether ETCS here is a group or a member of a group that I'm not seeing?

Thank you.

• 3. Re: Renaming Items within Groups without having to Alias
              waqar ahmad

Everyone,

I came to find that renaming something within a group is very simple, As easy as right-clicking the header and renaming. The issue I was having was due to the workbook belonging to a Tableau 8 saved version. Because of this, Members within Groups were actually just floating instances of fields and Tableau 10 was not picking up their existence as a group member. I only found this out when I went into an older version of Tableau, downloaded the workbook and observed the different group structure. To fix it, I just created a copy using the link provided at the bottom of the "edit group" pop up dialogue and used that instead of the group created in the older version of Tableau in Tableau 10. I compared the old structure and the conversion tableau 10 performed in its' copy and it was spot on! Bravo Team Tableau!

Thank you for all your help.

Waqar

1 of 1 people found this helpful