6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2018 8:51 AM by Joseph Pollard

"Save As" doesn't appear to change the workbook file name ... but does create another file ... sort of

Joseph Pollard

I have been attempting to create a series of dashboards that have static images (.png format), but when I "save as" for each workbook I've noticed that it isn't changing the title of the workbook up at the top header.  It reminds me of Adobe's "Save as a copy" function, which is a great option, but that's NOT what I want in this case.  I want to "Save as" not "Save as a copy."

This is creating a problem in that I want to save each version to Tableau Public so that I can then embed each saved as version into a webpage.

However, because the title isn't changing, when I save the workbook to Tableau Public, it's just writing over a previously existing dashboard (which I discovered after embedding about 10 workbooks ... every embedded workbook is now just loading the last one I saved to Tableau Public ... kind of frustrating).  I've tried closing the workbook after doing a "Save as" and then reopening the workbook and saving that to Tableau Public, but even that doesn't seem to work ... it's just saving over the previously saved workbook in Tableau Public.  This makes no sense.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?  Am I doing something incorrectly?  It seems like my workflow is pretty straightforward ... I have a single dashboard and I'm loading an image (I have 40 or so static chart images that I need to create a workbook for each one and rename it ... then save to Tableau Public ... then grab the embed code ... insert the embed code into my website).

Cheers and thanks in advance for anyone who can shed some light on this seemingly strange behavior.

Joe Pollard

• 1. Re: "Save As" doesn't appear to change the workbook file name ... but does create another file ... sort of
          Wesley Magee

Joseph,

This sounds really odd. So when you click "save as" and change the title, it doesn't create a new version? Instead of creating a new version, it's just saving over the top of the old version? You have to change the name when you do a "save as" to generate a new file, but if you're doing that it doesn't make sense that it would create a new one.

-Wesley

• 2. Re: "Save As" doesn't appear to change the workbook file name ... but does create another file ... sort of
            Joseph Pollard

Hey Wesley, thanks for the reply.

Keep in mind, I'm just adding an image of a static chart into a dashboard, but I need to do about 40 of these with each one having a different image of a static chart.  And then I need to post them all to Tableau Public (TP) as separate views so that I can embed them in a website using the embed code from TP.

Here's my workflow ...

I create a new document and save it as "workbook a" then load my image into a dashboard pane and save again (so at this point, I have saved a workbook with a dashboard).  I then "Save to Tableau Public."

What I want to do is create another workbook with a different image.  I replace the image in "workbook a" and then go to "File" ... "Save as" ... and change the name to "workbook b."  If I use windows Explorer to view the files in that folder, it includes both "workbook a.twb" and "workbook b.twb" and at this point, I would assume that I'm now working on "workbook b" because the header at the top of the window says "Tableau - workbook b" but when I "Save to Tableau Public" ... as soon as it saves to TP the header at the top of the page reverts back to "Tableau - workbook a" and when I go to my profile in TP there is only "workbook a" ... but it has the workbook b image (i.e., "workbook b" saved over the top of "workbook a" but it didn't change the name to "workbook b" nor did it create a second workbook as you'd expect).

I have a found a workaround ... I just create each workbook from scratch (i.e., I start a "new" workbook each time and then I use "Save to Tableau Public as ..." but I'm really confused by why it's doing this.

AND, the most perplexing thing is why does Tableau revert back to the previous workbook after you save to TP?  That's really strange to me ... and I guess I'm just feeling like it's something I need to understand.

Cheers and thanks for your interest in helping me sort this out Wesley!

Joe

• 3. Re: "Save As" doesn't appear to change the workbook file name ... but does create another file ... sort of
              Wesley Magee

My best guess at what is tripping us up is the "Save to Tableau Public". Since you already saved the workbook you're in to Tableau Public, it saves that file name to Tableau Public (regardless of how you name the workbook itself).

Have you tried "Save to Tableau Public As" and changing the workbook name at that step?

-Wesley

• 4. Re: "Save As" doesn't appear to change the workbook file name ... but does create another file ... sort of
                Peter Fakan

Hi Joseph,

I'm not an expert on publishing to tableau public, but if you are working in an instance (aka Tableau a), and have published that, then while you are continuing to work inside the same instance, no matter what you have saved the file as, the next time you publish it should revert to Tableau a on the server publish menu.

On Tableau Server there is a function to change the title of the viz on the publishing menu popup, I'd anticipate that something similar should be there for Tableau Public.

As you have correctly pointed out, if you open a second instance of Tableau, then when you go through your publishing actions, it is picking up on the latest title you have given your viz and defaulting to that title for publishing the viz.

Now the big HOWEVER...

Were you aware that you can convert tableau worksheets and dashboards directly into .pdf and .png directly via URL references ?

Have you thought of just embedding the URL references with the .png or .pdf adjustments inside your website ?

HTH

Peter

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: "Save As" doesn't appear to change the workbook file name ... but does create another file ... sort of
                  Joseph Pollard

Hey Wesley,

Yes indeed ... in the end, that seems to help (using the "Save to Tableau Public as ...").  If I save it to Tableau Public using the "save as ..." method it saves the workbook without changing the name and it doesn't save over the top of the existing workbook.  It's still very strange that it would save over the top of an existing workbook and revert the name of the document to the previously saved version.  But ... as long as I use the "Save to Tableau Public as ..." method I can keep the rest of my workflow intact and not have to start each view from scratch.

Tableau Support is going to take a look at it this morning as well ... so they might find it's a bit of a glitch they want to address, or not. ;-)

Cheers and thanks for your thoughts!

Joe

• 6. Re: "Save As" doesn't appear to change the workbook file name ... but does create another file ... sort of
                    Joseph Pollard

Hey Peter,

At this point, I think your response was spot on.  If I don't use the save as ... method for saving to Tableau Public it seems to want to use the name of the previous version.  Somehow it stays tied to the workbook regardless of the new name.

I will definitely look into the direct conversion method you mentioned.  I'm just beginning to flesh out this website I'm working on (it's for a State Health Department), but anticipate I'll essentially be addressing lots of different issues so the more tricks and/or options I have for populating the site with our various dashboards and visualizations the easier it'll be to manage.

Thanks a ton for your thoughts and ideas!

Cheers!

Joe