7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2018 7:56 AM by Joe Oppelt

Selection in a map with pie chart.

Luis Garcia

I have dashboard with map and sheet with TOTAL depending on selection in a map. This map have pie-chart too.

When select an element in pie chart, TOTAL is shows correctly, but when i select country, show blank sheet, not TOTAL of country.

I attach and workbook with example.

How can i select map 'element' (pie chart or country) and show TOTAL in other sheet?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Selection in a map with pie chart.
          Joe Oppelt

See attached.

Is this the behavior you were looking for?

• 2. Re: Selection in a map with pie chart.
            Luis Garcia

Not exactly...

When i click COUNTRY in map i want show TOTAL of COUNTRY obviously.

When i click in slice (by dimension TYPE) in  a pie chart, i want see TOTAL of selection done, COUNTRY and TYPE

In my tableau, click in pie chart works well (total country AND type selected), but clicking country shows nothing.

In your example, click in country works well (total country), but clicking slice of pie chart show total country too, then i want total of selection: country and type.

Thanks for your interest

• 3. Re: Selection in a map with pie chart.
              Joe Oppelt

Luis Garcia wrote:

Not exactly...

When i click COUNTRY in map i want show TOTAL of COUNTRY obviously.

When i click in slice (by dimension TYPE) in a pie chart, i want see TOTAL of selection done, COUNTRY and TYPE

In my tableau, click in pie chart works well (total country AND type selected), but clicking country shows nothing.

In your example, click in country works well (total country), but clicking slice of pie chart show total country too, then i want total of selection: country and type.

Thanks for your interest

Your action passes "All".  That means you are passing all dimensions.  On your sheet you have two dimensions:  Country and Type.  But when you are in the Country axis, there is no type on that mark, so Tableau is passing nothing in the [Type] filter, and therefore the Total sheet has no rows.

When you create an action, Tableau puts a filter on the target sheet for you.  Here is a screen shot of your filter:

You can see that  Country and Type are in the filter.

You can force [Type] on the Country mark, but it will create three values in that mark (just like it does for the pie chart).  You can create a table calc that sums up the three [Types] and display that on the Country mark, but the displayed mark will have only one of the [Type] values associated with it, so the Totals sheet will reflect the total for that one Type.

I think you're looking for conflicting requirements with this setup.

• 4. Re: Selection in a map with pie chart.
                Luis Garcia

Ok, I understand what's happening, Country mark has no Type dimension, and (as you said) "so Tableau is passing nothing in the [Type] filter"

I think this a wrong 'behavior', if there is a NO Type dimension filter, the value of the filter must be treated as if all values were selected!!!

Not having a filter (nothing) is not the same as having a filter with no values selected,

• 5. Re: Selection in a map with pie chart.
                  Joe Oppelt

Luis Garcia wrote:

Not having a filter (nothing) is not the same as having a filter with no values selected,

But because your filter action has [Type] in it, you DO have that filter.

Tableau has to work consistently.

You could post a use-case in the IDEAS forum:

Ideas

Describe your proposal.  Give your use case.  Make the case for why new behavior should be introduced.

• 6. Re: Selection in a map with pie chart.
                    Luis Garcia

Joe Oppelt wrote:

But because your filter action has [Type] in it, you DO have that filter.

Map auto-creates filter action, not me ;-)))

|    Tableau has to work consistently.

Ok

|    You could post a use-case in the IDEAS forum:

|    Describe your proposal. Give your use case. Make the case for why new behavior should be introduced.

Do you think its a good proposal/idea this:

New Option.png

Default option (for Tableau still working consistenly) will be 'Exclude All values', but user can change, in my case to 'Show All Values'

Thanks again for all

• 7. Re: Selection in a map with pie chart.
                      Joe Oppelt

I have never seen the need for it.  Everyone's development experience is different though, and you have come across a situation where it would be valuable.  The great thing about the IDEAS forum is that it helps bring out others who are looking for the same thing, and they add their vote to the idea.  (Another great thing about the IDEAS forum is that it is monitored by development people, and sometimes they come up with clever workarounds!)