6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2018 10:26 AM by Ken Flerlage

Word Clouds and SQL Server Full-Text Indexing

Thomas Jameson

Hello,

I created a word cloud from a list of tokenized words using a sql server full-text index.  I would like a user to be able to select a word in my word cloud to be able to see the detailed records containing that word.  That detailed list of records is a table in SQL.

Any ideas on how I can do this?

Thank you for your help.
      Tom

• 1. Re: Word Clouds and SQL Server Full-Text Indexing
          lei.chen.0

Hello Thomas,

Would you please attach Packaged workbooks: when, why, how ?

Without having a look at the data, it's difficult to provide feasible ideas.

Your requirement seems like a search.

Filter with parameter, is the idea came to my mind, which I'm not sure whether works for you.

Regards

Lei

• 2. Re: Word Clouds and SQL Server Full-Text Indexing
            Ken Flerlage

Would be fairly simple to join the tables together, then use filter actions to filter another sheet showing the detailed records. Is there anything specific with this process we can help with?

• 3. Re: Word Clouds and SQL Server Full-Text Indexing
              David Maning

Hi Thomas,

Just insert a worksheet in your tool-tip. To create worksheet you can use an additional data source. Just don't forget about creating a relationship.

Trust this helps.

D  

• 4. Re: Word Clouds and SQL Server Full-Text Indexing
                Thomas Jameson

Thank you for your replies. I've created an example with fake data to help illustrate what I would like to do.

In the example, the Index table contains a list of words (display_term column) and a count of the words.  The Index table does not have a relationship with the Details table other than words in the Description column of the Details table appear in the Index table.

I would like to be able to click on a word in the word cloud worksheet that is in my dashboard and have it filter the details worksheet to only show those records where the word selected in the word cloud worksheet appears anywhere in the Details worksheet.

Thanks again!

Tom

• 5. Re: Word Clouds and SQL Server Full-Text Indexing
                  David Maning

Without any relationship tableau is not able to compare info from two different data source. 

Suggest to solve it on the stage of data source. I think that you should use python or sql script. For each ford there should be an id.

Trust this helps.

D

• 6. Re: Word Clouds and SQL Server Full-Text Indexing
                    Ken Flerlage

The best option would be to push this work upstream before bringing it into Tableau so that you could join the two together. But, if you need a solution within Tableau, here's a hacky way to do it:

1) Bring in both Excel sheets into Tableau and create a join.

2) Use a join calculation with 1 for each table, as shown below. This will join each record in Index to each record in Detail. See below.

3) Now create a calculated field called something like Match as shown below. This will give you "Include" if the word is in the line and "Exclude" if not.

IF CONTAINS(UPPER([Description]),UPPER([Display Term])) = TRUE THEN

"Include"

ELSE

"Exclude"

END

Note: The UPPER isn't really required with Excel as Excel is not case-sensitive, but it might matter for other databases, so it's good practice to put it in there.

4) Create a filter on Match setting it to only show "Include"

I think that should give you what you need. Of course, if you have a lot of records, then the join will produce lots more, so this could be a performance nightmare.

Ken