4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2018 1:20 PM by Joe Oppelt

Show percent of total for multiple categories on same line chart

Jon Stoessel

Good Morning All,

I have been trying to solve this problem on and off (depending on time) for a few months now, and it is driving me absolutely crazy.  Multiple posts on the forums have yielded no answers, despite the efforts of really helpful/kind people.

Here is the issue:

I want to build a line chart in Tableau that shows (3) distinct Percent of Totals on the same chart, so that I can compare how each of these programs contributes to the total number, relatively.  Please use the example below for reference:

For instance, I want to be able to select "Architecture" in a filter, and show how Architecture's Percent of Total from 2005-2006 to 2015-2016 has increased or decreased with three lines.  I understand the example above only shows one individual year's data, but I imagine folks get where I am going.  One for "X University", one for "Peer Group 1", and one for "Peer Group 2".

No matter which calculations I have tried, or edits to the table calculations I have done, I have not been able to display what I want.

SOS, somebody save me.

Jon

• 2. Re: Show percent of total for multiple categories on same line chart
          Jon Stoessel

Good Afternoon Joe,

Thanks for your reply.  This is probably what always stops any solution right in its tracks.  Unfortunately the data I am dealing with is confidential, so I cannot post the workbook (which I know makes this 1000% easier.  The best I can do is explain that I have 10 years of data where I show each of the programs above as a Percent of Total.  I want to show how X University Percent of Total in Music stacks up against a separate line representing Peer Group 1 in Music and a separate line representing Peer Group 2 in Music across time.  It would be the linear representation of the percentages in the table below:

Below is what I end up getting (or some version of it)

I want to show the percent of total above on the line chart to compare Institution X with the two peer groups over time.  It is totally fine if you aren't able to help me out if I can't post a workbook.  Just seems like such a straightforward table to build that I know there must be a table calculation for it.

Thank you for your help,

Jon

• 3. Re: Show percent of total for multiple categories on same line chart
            Mike Mainzer

Confused by your question. When you say 'Architecture's percent of total', the percent of what total? The total of humanities? The institution?

Are you asking what percentage of students at institution x are taking humanities, compared to what percentage of students at institution y are taking humanities?

Or are you asking of all students taking humanities, what percent are at institution x, institution y, institution z?

Could you not export your table to .csv and just change the names, etc. to dummy data?

• 4. Re: Show percent of total for multiple categories on same line chart
              Joe Oppelt

Jon Stoessel wrote:

Good Afternoon Joe,

Thanks for your reply. This is probably what always stops any solution right in its tracks. Unfortunately the data I am dealing with is confidential, so I cannot post the workbook

John -- Do what I demonstrated in this video.

There are just too many descriptive factors going on here for me to juggle them all.

Anonymize your Tableau Package Data for Sharing