4 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2018 9:06 PM by Sankarmagesh Rajan

Tableau Server Upgrade From 10.1 to 10.5.2

A Chat

Hi All,

We are planning to upgrade our existing Tableau 10.1 server to the latest version 10.5.2. Details of the server -

1. It is a single node server.
      2. We have around 150 active workbooks and 50 of them are connected to extract data source.
      3. Extracts are scheduled to refresh incrementally / fully every 15 mins, 1 hour or daily etc.

Here's the upgrade strategy that we will be following -

1. Take manual full backup of existing 10.1 server using tabcmd utility.
      2. On the VM on which this server is installed, execute the 10.5.2 server setup.
      3. 10.5.2 setup will automatically determine if any previous version is already installed.
      4. 10.5.2. setup will also ask for backup, but we can skip this as it is already done in #1.
      5. Follow the prompts as new setup automatically uninstalls existing 10.1 server.
      6. Follow the prompts as new setup completes and we have new 10.5.2 installed.

We are aware of the process of .tde getting automatically converted to .hyper as soon as they are refreshed (scheduler or manual) but we are Ok with this.

Can someone please validate these steps and suggest if any changes are needed? also can someone please confirm that, the new server 10.5.2 will have exactly similar configurations as of 10.1 server such as SMTP details, subscriptions, schedules, fodders, user security etc.?

Links that we have referred so far –

For backup - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vYyOYOWNZ4

For overall migration - https://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/server/en-us/sug_singlenode.htm

Thanks,

Abradeep C.

• 1. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade From 10.1 to 10.5.2
          Sankarmagesh Rajan

Hi A chat,

Yes, we have tested the upgrade in our premises and the new server 10.5.2 will have exactly similar configurations as previous server configuration such as SMTP details, subscriptions, schedules, fodders, user security.

After upgrading Tableau Server, your users might notice or report that their .tde extracts have been changed to a new .hyper format; or they might receive error messages that mention this new .hyper extract format. This extract file conversion is a part of the improved data engine, it will help Tableau users create and refresh larger extracts faster.

The black circle indicates that the extract will be converted to .hyper format.

Upgrade

Upgrade

Server Upgrade Page | Tableau Software

Thanks

sankar

• 2. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade From 10.1 to 10.5.2
            lalitha p

Hi Sankar/A Chat,

I have a plan of upgrading from 10.3 to 10.5 Server. But i am worrying about one of my workbooks. Because one particular workbook is having almost 300 subscriptions in my server. So before upgrading i want to make sure my existing subscriptions should not break with the new upgrade.

Could you please let me know how this affect.

• 3. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade From 10.1 to 10.5.2
              Sanket Kelkar

Hi @lalitha,

We have successfully completed an upgrade to 10.5.3 and then to 2018.1 last week. There are no changes in any subscription, schedule, workbook, SSL, SMTP etc configurations.

Just an IMP note - if you are upgrading the server which is installed at a non-default location like (D or E drive), please make sure to select the right path while browsing folders.

In my case -

Original Path – D:\Programs\Tableau\Tableau Server\10.1\bin

Browse to - D:\Programs\Tableau (please note that it automatically appends Tableau server folder with the browsed path and creates a new folder with a name 2018.1 )

New path - D:\Programs\Tableau\Tableau Server\2018.1\bin

• 4. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade From 10.1 to 10.5.2
                Sankarmagesh Rajan

Hi Lalitha,

It will stay as it is and extract will change to hyper extract. Your performance will increase once upgrade to 10.5

Thanks

Sankarmagesh Rajan

Mob:+919894170397

BI, Aspire Systems (India) Pvt Ltd

https://www.linkedin.com/in/sankarmagesh-rajan-572423ab