5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2018 1:08 PM by Jim Dehner

Custom Reference Line Labeling

Will Thackery

I am looking for a way to change the reference line labels in a chart. Instead of Upper Quartile, Median, Lower Quartile, I want them to say 75th Percentile, Median, 25th Percentile. I can get close if I use a reference band with no fill and set it to the percentiles, but the text then reads "25 Percentile", which isn't as presentable as "25th Percentile".

The lines can't be fixed in place with a constant value, as the data will change as the user changes filter values

An example of the kind of chart is included.

• 1. Re: Custom Reference Line Labeling
          Jim Dehner

Hi see below

You can open and edit the line (just right click it)

then follow the path

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 2. Re: Custom Reference Line Labeling
            Will Thackery

I don't know how to set individual lines to a specific percentile value- I've been using the distribution band with no shading to get those lines set correctly. When I select the custom label there, it puts the same text for each label (so all three will say 25th percentile, which isn't what I'm trying to do).

Is there a way to set individual lines at a specific percentile value? median/50th is built in, but how do I get 25th and 75th? then I could do what you're suggesting

• 3. Re: Custom Reference Line Labeling
              Jim Dehner

Yes

create calculated fields with the individual calculations and give them a name -

then place them in the viz on the marks card as Detail - they won't show up but you need them there for the reference line selection 

then drag a reference line on the viz from the analytics tab

Open the drop down and your calculation should be vizable - select it then you can customize the text as I showed before

you will need to do this 3 times - once for each field

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Custom Reference Line Labeling
                Will Thackery

Is there a way to do this without having to create calculated fields? This will work (for which I thank you very much, this has been bugging me for weeks), but will be tedious, as I have about 30 different measures that will get graphs like that. Having to do 2 new calculated fields for each one will take a while (and probably doesn't help the performance of the workbook).

I really appreciate the help.

• 5. Re: Custom Reference Line Labeling
                  Jim Dehner

I am not aware of another way - but that doesn't mean that one doesn't exist

Have a good weekend

Jim