4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2018 6:46 PM by Shravan Kumar

Actions between Live and Extract Connections

Shravan Kumar

Hello,

I am new to Tableau and this scenario may be a very similar use case. We have 2 dashboards where Dashboard 1 is connected to LIVE data source and Dashboard 2 is connected to an extract. Will Actions work when we want to filter Dashboard 1 with 2 in this case?

• 1. Re: Actions between Live and Extract Connections
          lei.chen.0

Hello Shravan,

First of all, welcome to Tableau Community!

In order to ensure that I've understood your problem correctly, here are the outlines I figured out from your description.

- You have two worksheets in your Tableau Workbook.

- The two worksheets are connected to different data sources.

- One of the data source is live connection, and the other extract.

- You put the two worksheets in the same dashboard.

- You want to use dashboard action (use as filter) (Filter Data Across Multiple Data Sources) in this dashboard.

Are they correct?

If correct, I think dashboard action (user as filter) works in this case.

Regards

Lei

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Actions between Live and Extract Connections
            Shravan Kumar

Thanks Lei for your thoughts.

The only change from your description is what if the worksheets are in different dashboards-

For example : Worksheet 1 connecting to LIVE data. Worksheet 2 connecting to Extract data. Worksheet 1 would be part of Dashboard 1 and Worksheet 2 part of dashboard 2.

So if I create an Action from dashboard 1 to dashboard 2 would values get passed?

I am exploring the possibility but wanted to know if there is something I need to keep in mind.

• 3. Re: Actions between Live and Extract Connections
              lei.chen.0

Hello Shravan,

Let's forget different data sources for a while.

Some facts as you might have discovered,

• "Actions" exists only under "Worksheet" menu and "Dashboard" menu.
              • The scenarios mention in Actions and Dashboards, are all within one dashboard, not across dashboards.
              • In dashboard action settings, source sheets and target sheets are within the same dashboard.

So I don't think action is a function designed to pass anything from one dashboard to another.

Here are some possibilities for exploring.

• A combination of URL action and Adding parameters to the base URL (see How View URLs Are Structured)
              • Add one same worksheet to two different dashboards (sample workbook attached).

Regards

Lei

• 4. Re: Actions between Live and Extract Connections
                Shravan Kumar

Thanks Lei.

Will follow the steps and get back if any follow-up questions.