1 of 1 people found this helpful
First of all, welcome to Tableau Community!
In order to ensure that I've understood your problem correctly, here are the outlines I figured out from your description.
- You have two worksheets in your Tableau Workbook.
- The two worksheets are connected to different data sources.
- One of the data source is live connection, and the other extract.
- You put the two worksheets in the same dashboard.
- You want to use dashboard action (use as filter) (Filter Data Across Multiple Data Sources) in this dashboard.
Are they correct?
If correct, I think dashboard action (user as filter) works in this case.
Thanks Lei for your thoughts.
The only change from your description is what if the worksheets are in different dashboards-
For example : Worksheet 1 connecting to LIVE data. Worksheet 2 connecting to Extract data. Worksheet 1 would be part of Dashboard 1 and Worksheet 2 part of dashboard 2.
So if I create an Action from dashboard 1 to dashboard 2 would values get passed?
I am exploring the possibility but wanted to know if there is something I need to keep in mind.
Let's forget different data sources for a while.
Some facts as you might have discovered,
- "Actions" exists only under "Worksheet" menu and "Dashboard" menu.
- The scenarios mention in Actions and Dashboards, are all within one dashboard, not across dashboards.
- In dashboard action settings, source sheets and target sheets are within the same dashboard.
So I don't think action is a function designed to pass anything from one dashboard to another.
Here are some possibilities for exploring.
- A combination of URL action and Adding parameters to the base URL (see How View URLs Are Structured)
- Add one same worksheet to two different dashboards (sample workbook attached).
Action Sample_10.5.twbx 1.2 MB
Will follow the steps and get back if any follow-up questions.