1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 12, 2018 3:47 PM by Amber Loranger

Best way to edit workbooks using published data extracts?

David Matthews

I am working with some data that takes a long time to load using live connections to SQL Server so I create an extract, publish it to tableau server and use that connection server extract as the datasource for the workbook. The extract has some calculated fields and can take 2 hours to create in Tableau desktop due to the fact there are millions of rows. My question is what his the best way to edit the workbook, more specifically edit to the calculated fields. From what I can gather you have to create a local copy of the datasource(making another tde), then connect to the local copy in Tableau desktop and make your edits then republish the workbook and new extract(tde). This seems like a time consuming process to me so I am wondering if there is a better way to do this?

Also:

- Are the calculated fields that you create in your workbook a part of the workbook or the datasource(tde)

- When you make a local copy of the online extract are you creating a new TDE with all the data again everytime?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Best way to edit workbooks using published data extracts?
          Amber Loranger

Hi David,

When you make a local copy of the online extract are you creating a new TDE with all the data again everytime?

Yes, you are creating a copy of the TDE on your local computer.

Are the calculated fields that you create in your workbook a part of the workbook or the datasource(tde)

If you connect to a published data source, but you create a new calculated field in your workbook, the calculated field you just created is a part of your workbook, but not of the published data source, unless you republish the data source specifically.

If you want to add new calculated fields, you can just create them in your workbook and republish the data source without first making a copy. But if you want to modify existing fields, there is no better way I know of than the way you are currently doing it.