3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2018 1:00 AM by Norbert Maijoor

Average

Yeheyies Tekleselassie

Hello,

I have struggled to get the same result (Tableau average and Excel average value). In Tableau, I applied the Analytics pane to get the average value (see image below- Tableau) which gave me 91% of 15 measures.  The average of the 15 measures must be 92%.  FYI - the 15 measures shown on the image are the average of numbers in a contiguous row. 

The question is why I get two different values using the same values. How do I get the true average value (92%)?

Thank you for the help.

Icy

• 1. Re: Average
          Norbert Maijoor

Hi Yeheyies,

Find my approach below

Regards,

Norbert

• 2. Re: Average
            Yeheyies Tekleselassie

Hi Norbert,

Thank you so much for your speedy reply. Based on the recommendation, I used the Aggregate Measure and applied "Show Column Grand Totals"  and Average. The result has not change as you can see the average value is still 91%. I also attached the .twbx file for clarity purpose.

• 3. Re: Average
              Norbert Maijoor

Hi Yeheyis,

Find my approach based on UNION & LOD expression below and stored in attached workbook version 10.4 located in the original thread

1. Define a Union.

2. Dimensions:

if [Table Name]='Sheet1' then [Monitoring Checklist]

elseif [Table Name]='Sheet11' then "Average" END

3. Measure Display:

if attr([Table Name])='Sheet1' then sum({fixed [Monitoring Checklist],[Name (MonitoringResultType)]:sum([Number of Records])}/{fixed[Monitoring Checklist]:sum([Number of Records])})

elseif attr([Table Name])='Sheet11' then avg({fixed [Monitoring Checklist],[Name (MonitoringResultType)]:sum([Number of Records])}/{fixed[Monitoring Checklist]:sum([Number of Records])}) END

4. Drag the required objects to the indicated locations.

Regards,

Norbert