6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2018 11:11 AM by chris guth

Tool tip not showing data

chris guth

I'm trying to show both the current year data and the prior year data in the tool tip.  I am able to accomplish this in the 3rd and 5th columns of the table but the prior year data will not show in the tool tip for the 1st, 2nd or 4th columns. These columns are using a calculated field to compute weighted median and percentiles. That might have something to do with it. Is there a way to get the prior year data to show in those tool tips?

• 1. Re: Tool tip not showing data
          Joe Oppelt

That's a busy sheet.

Point me to what you want to display, and where it's coming from, and what the value should be in some specific row.

• 2. Re: Tool tip not showing data
            chris guth

Yes…it is quite busy. I’ve tried to clean it up as I went along but there’s a lot going on in there. So I’ll try to explain with pictures The first pic below shows the tool tip if I hover over the first row of 3rd column, both current and prior year data showing.

In the next pic, if I hover over the first row in the first column, I’m not able to get the prior year data to show up in the tool tip. The correct current year value shows ($45.00), but the prior year value here should be $50.00. The current data number is showing up twice because I was trying different methods of trying to get the value to show. The data only needs to show once for each the current data and the prior data. No need to worry about the bars I have showing in the tool tip above. I’m just trying the get the values to show properly for now. The prior year value should be coming from “Cleaned Values--Prior”  or “Weighted Median-Prior”. I already have those placed in the tool  tip for the first column.

Thanks!

Chris

• 3. Re: Tool tip not showing data
              Joe Oppelt

chris guth wrote:

...The prior year value should be coming from “Cleaned Values--Prior” or “Weighted Median-Prior”. I already have those placed in the tool tip for the first column.

This is what I need explanation for.  I don't want to reverse-engineer the calcs that go into making that value.  Does each row have a "prior" value on it, for example?

Here's a clue that you need to investigate.  When you go to the 3rd column and edit the marks for that column, change the AGG(Weighted Average-Prior) pill from tooltip to TEXT.  (Click on the icon in from of the pill and you can select TEXT in the pop-up.)

You will see that both values are available to you and show up as text in that mark.

Now do the same in the first column or the 4th column.  You get multiple values for Weighted PCT25-Prior if you put that on text in the first column.  I'm not sure what's going on in there, but I suspect you expect only one value there.

• 4. Re: Tool tip not showing data
                chris guth

Ok, just erased my enter reply to I'll try it again.

I just uploaded a new file.

There are 6 columns of WEIGHTED data displayed. (1) PCT25 current (2) PCT25 prior [i included this column so show what the prior data should look like in the tool in both columns 1 and 2]  (3) MEDIAN current (4) AVERAGE current  (5) PCT75 current (6) COUNT current.

The tool tip for each column should show  both the current and prior data.  This only works correctly for column #4 AVERAGE right now.  The calc field used to display the weighted average is a simple calculation while the calc field used to display the weighted percentiles and median are more involved if/then statements. This might have something to do with the problem I'm experiencing.

If you highlight a data point in column #4 AVERAGE you'll see the tool tip display both the current and prior data (yay).

If you highlight a data point for column #1 PCT-current, only the current data is displayed in the tool tip, yet if you select the tool tip mark for this column and select preview, both current and prior data is displayed in the preview.

Column 1 tool tip. Prior data not showing.

Column 1 tool tip mark preview. Both current and prior data show/

This occurs for columns 1, 2, and 5.  Oddly, if you select a data point in column 3 (median current), the current data is displayed in the tool tip for both current and prior, yet if you select the tool tip mark for column 3 and select preview the correct data shows for both current and prior.

Tool tip for column 3 (median). Current data showing in both places (current and prior spots).

Tool tip mark preview for column 3 (median). Correct current and prior data showing.

I hope this clears up my problem a bit. Thanks!

• 5. Re: Tool tip not showing data
                  Joe Oppelt

I'll push back again.

First of all, you did not have %25 Prior on the sheet.  I added it.  (See attached.)  I just shoved weighted average prior onto the %75 column, and moved it to its current position.

In the attached, I simplified your sheet for now.  I added labels so I could understand what is what.  (You know what you have, because you are immersed in your application.  I'm looking at this cold.)

I took off two of the columns.  This simplifies the sheet for now.  When we figure out what's going on with %25, you can apply the fix to all the rest.

Now I don't have to keep scrolling, re-displaying, etc.  This is what helps when you upload a sample workbook.

So I added %25 Prior, and as you can see, you are getting multiple values per mark.  This is the first thing we need to address before we can display the proper value in the %25 Current column.  It's probably calc-ing along the wrong dimension, but I don't know your data so I can only guess at what it will take to make it calc right.  Take a look at this, and when you have it worked out, we can move forward with getting it to display in the CURRENT tooltip.

• 6. Re: Tool tip not showing data
                    chris guth

Thanks for all your help with this Joe! I realize I'm immersed in this app (for wayyyyy too long). The folks at Tableau were able to provide a solution. They said the same thing you did...I have a lot of mark in there....even though most are NULL they are still there.  Below is their solution...

What’s happening in the crosstab is a result of the way you metrics calculate.  For each row, you’re displaying 6 metrics. You’ve got 31 rows.  This results in 186 displayed metrics.  If you look in the bottom left of your crosstab, though, you’ll see that you’re displaying 17,300 marks.

The reason for this is that you have “Cleaned Values—Current” and “Cleaned Values—Prior” as dimensions on detail.  This means that Tableau is creating one mark per metric per combination of Wording1, Cleaned Values—Current, and Cleaned Values—Prior.  Your calculations have turned most of these marks into NULL values, but the marks technically still exist.  You’re seeing 1 number displayed with ~150 null values being “displayed” right next to it, taking up no space.  None of this is a problem on the surface.

Where the problem arises is that of those 150 marks, 1 has a value for Current Year, and 1 has a value for Prior Year.  On your crosstab, it’s not noticeable, but these are different marks.  When you mouse over the number in column 1, that mark actually doesn’t have a value for Prior Year, so Prior Year displays as NULL.  The mark which has a value for Prior Year has a NULL value for current year, so while there is a tooltip somewhere with the Prior Year value displayed, you’re not mousing over the right mark to find it.  The easiest solution to this is to simply apply the calculated value to all 150 marks.  This way we guarantee that every mark has the right value.

The calc I used for this is actually very simple.  For your first column, create a calc called “Tooltip Prior”.  WINDOW_MAX([Weighted PCT25-Prior]).  Put this calc on tooltip instead of your existing one.  The only other thing we need to make sure of is that it’s choosing the right window to compute the max within.  Right-click on the calc and select Edit Table Calculation…

At the top of your Edit Table Calc dialog, you’ll have all of the table calcs involved in your calculated field.  Make sure they are all set as they were before.  The only one to change is the new one you’re created.  Set that calculation to compute as in the below screenshot.