12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2018 8:35 AM by Andrew Bickert

Dynamic Dashboard Layouts

Mark Gordon

Hi

I have created a dashboard showing various web metrics via four maps - one a global filled map which takes up most of the space, the other three symbol maps showing the data at city level, lined up vertically down one side.  I want to be able to offer users the functionality to explore each of the city level maps by using a parameter to make the selected map swap places with the global map.  Is there an easy way of doing this?  I'm guessing a sheet pop/swap would be the answer but I'm not sure how to make them swap over.   

I can't post a packaged workbook because of the data it holds, but I have attached two images of how I would want it to work.  I'm on version 10.5.

Cheers!

Mark

• 1. Re: Dynamic Dashboard Layouts
          Andrew Bickert

Hi Mark,

You can do this using a parameter to control your maps. I attached a basic 10.5 .twbx example for reference.

You will need a calculation per sheet that you want to see. Essentially to check if the right hand sheets match the Parameter, if they do you want it to put the 'Global' picture, else put in the parameter picture.

IF ([Country Paramater]='USA') then 'Global' else if ([Country]='USA') then 'USA' end END

For the one on the left, you will do the opposite and put the 'Global'  if true else put in the parameter. (You need the global in there to map out the values).

IF ([Country Paramater]='Global') then 'Global' else if ([Country]=[Country Paramater]) then [Country] end END

Kind Regards,

Andrew

• 2. Re: Dynamic Dashboard Layouts
            Michael Hesser

Mark;

Andrew's solution is good because it takes the guesswork out of where a user needs to click to control the viz. But you may try these two options, as well:

Control the views dynamically through a single dashboard action:

I built a sheet very similar to your own:

I made sure STATE was a filter in my USA map (for you it will be COUNTRY).

Then I made a simple Dashboard Action filter:

Whenever the user click a dot in one of the smaller maps, it filters the larger map to just that view.

This certainly isn't a perfect solution:

To return the map to it's original location, click the city again (this is not intuitive at all)

In order to keep the maps in place, I had to turn off most of their functions (zoom, etc)

Control the Maps Through Buttons

Perhaps another option is creating four "button" vizzes and using them in lieu of where you have the titles for the maps.

Each worksheet is simple:

For each button, FILTER by the appropriate STATE (or in your case, COUNTRY)

Drop STATE (or in your case COUNTRY) into Detail, as well

Create a variable for each button and use this as Text

You can use the same filter as you have above.

The user would click on the button label of the map to expand it.

User would click on the ALL (or click again on the active button) to see the world map.

This has limitations, too, most notably

Map navigation functions must be limited, else your user my force the map to scroll off the page.

Just a couple of other ideas to think about!

--Michael

• 3. Re: Dynamic Dashboard Layouts
              Mark Gordon

Hi Andrew

This is good but not sure it will do what I need it to - the USA / Canada / Aus vizzes use different marks to the global filled map, and I want to preserve that when I change the view.  Not sure if that's possible to do dynamically?

Mark

• 4. Re: Dynamic Dashboard Layouts
                Andrew Bickert

Hi Mark Gordon,

Are you wanting the Global view to be the shading based off of number of data points and the other ones to be the individual data points?

Andrew

• 5. Re: Dynamic Dashboard Layouts
                  Mark Gordon

Hi

Thats right, so the global view remains as a filled map but the others use circles as the data points...the data is based on users / sessions so the underlying data is essentially the same for both types of map, but the view is different.

Thanks

Mark

• 6. Re: Dynamic Dashboard Layouts
                    Andrew Bickert

Gotcha,

You can do that, you would just need to do a dual axis and build your calculations to reference the Countries that you want. I built this with some fake data and mapped it to the State level but you could replace it with the Zip or other identifying information.

Andrew

• 7. Re: Dynamic Dashboard Layouts
                      Mark Gordon

Thanks Andrew.

I'm still a bit stuck, I can see what the Country3 and StateDetail dimensions are doing but can't seem to replicate it in my data...I can get the views to swap if I use the underlying [Country] and [CIty] fields, but not if I use the calculated fields...probably something obvious, so will keep playing with it...

Thanks

Mark

• 8. Re: Dynamic Dashboard Layouts
                        Andrew Bickert

Hi Mark,

I know you mentioned earlier that you cannot send out your data but are you able to make a couple lines (like 30) with fake data? It is kinda difficult to help when the data structure is not fully known. If not, we can keep trying this way.

Andrew

• 9. Re: Dynamic Dashboard Layouts
                          Mark Gordon

Hi Andrew

Sure, here's a simplified sample of the data I'm using - there are 100 rows in the attachment.  I have a couple of additional measures in my data but the structure is the same, and the original comes out of Google analytics but I dont think this should make a difference in terms of the switching...

Thanks!

Mark

• 10. Re: Dynamic Dashboard Layouts
                            Andrew Bickert

Cool,

I remapped the data fields to your Sample Data file and updated the calculations. I also realized that you were wanting to drill down on city level rather than state so I updated some calculations for those as well and threw them on the map. I also added a date range filter (just for fun).

Andrew

• 11. Re: Dynamic Dashboard Layouts
                              Mark Gordon

That works brilliantly - thanks so much for all your help!

Mark

• 12. Re: Dynamic Dashboard Layouts
                                Andrew Bickert

Awesome, Thanks Mark Gordon for posting this thread, it was fun to work out!

Andrew