5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2018 11:10 PM by Nigel Fung

Parameter - control dashboard run or not run

Nigel Fung

I would like to create a dashboard, that allows user to select the needed filters (many and many - mix of parameter and calculated fields), before dashboard start to run.

If without this mechanism, there will be waiting time between each selection (as the dataset contains 100 million rows - so it will be pretty bad experiences for every filter loading)

My solution

Thus I build a parameter logic to control the dashboard.

When = 1, nothing should run ; When = 2, dashboard will run and go via these  filters.

Control Mechanism.JPG

Improvement

The parameter control display was not too interactive (i.e .a bar, or radio box).

If it can be replaced by two icons (i.e. play or stop), and user can click on the icon to cater the same logic, then it looks more interactive to user

Great if there is any advice that could help. Thanks for comment~

Attachment:

Due to size limitation, a workbook without data is attached.

Sorry need a further step from you to connect with superstore data.

• 1. Re: Parameter - control dashboard run or not run
          Nigel Fung

Good Monday fellows! Anyone have an idea on my case? Thanks.

• 2. Re: Parameter - control dashboard run or not run
            Peter Fakan

Hi Nigel,

You can deal with this in a couple of ways;

1. In your filters, select the drop down caret > Customize > Show Apply Button. This will allow you to set a few filters at once without waiting for data changes to occur

2. Setup a 2nd dashboard and put your filters and parameters on that so that users have to go through that dashboard and make all of their selections before they can view the data. The underlying changes are then made offscreen which gives off optics that the query is running faster.

HTH

Peter

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Parameter - control dashboard run or not run
              Nigel Fung

Thanks Peter .

For solution (1), because I have around 10 filters, using this approach should reduce each value loading time in a filter.

However, loading still occurs between the next filter 2nd, or the 3rd or onward filters.

For solution (2), can you share some more tricks on how to let users go via the selection before the data is loaded?

In the dashboard, the existing parameter control is able to cater this logic (i.e. user can go via all selections before data load), but user thinks such parameter control (i.e. drop down) display was not interactive enough.

In ideal case, the display on the control should look like a button. Ideal Button Control.png

Thanks again for your time!

• 4. Re: Parameter - control dashboard run or not run
                Peter Fakan

Hi Nigel,

Sorry, I've got no ideas along those lines. I don't like the current hack way that Tableau does navigation between sheets so don't tend to use it. I am sure have an idea somewhere in the mix for a kind of 'magic button' that would allow several programmable actions to occur (including navigation), but couldn't find my own idea when I looked for it just then.

HTH

Peter

• 5. Re: Parameter - control dashboard run or not run
                  Nigel Fung

You have already brought me some insights on this. Thanks Peter!