5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2018 10:47 AM by Eric Hammond

Set Day / Date Field Manually

matt hins

Hi, I'm trying to align two graphs (screenshot attached) by month and day but the data coming through is forcing the x-axis to only display days with related data. I would like to be able to manually set the days displayed, whether or not there's data related to the day date field, so that I can align the two graphs in the dashboard. I can't align them in the workbook because the date fields are drawing from different dimensions, which are correlated to each measure being counted. Is there a way to manually set the days displayed along the x-axis?

Thanks,

Matt

• 1. Re: Set Day / Date Field Manually
          Eric Hammond

Hi Matt,

To display all dates instead of just those with data, use continuous dates instead of discrete dates. Following are steps to align the dates from two dimensions in the same workbook, but you can also keep the charts separate and just use the first couple of steps to show all dates in the range.

• Remove all fields from the Columns shelf
          • Right-click and drag [Prospect Date] to the columns shelf, and choose "[Prospect Date] (Continuous)"; OK
          • Right-click and drag [Campaign Date] to the columns shelf, and choose "[Campaign Date] (Continuous)"; OK
          • Right-click on the green [Campaign Date] pill in the columns shelf, Dual Axis
          • Right-click on the 2nd X-axis (the one on top), Synchronize axis
          • 2. Re: Set Day / Date Field Manually
            matt hins

Hi Eric,

If I wanted both date dimensions in the same workbook on a synch axis, would then be able to count from different measures?

Thanks,

Matt

• 3. Re: Set Day / Date Field Manually
              Eric Hammond

Hi Matt,

Yes, you can use more than one measure.  Give it a try; if it isn't what you want then just keep the solution of putting two charts on a dashboard.  Two charts may be better anyway as they may make it easier for users to understand the viz.

• 4. Re: Set Day / Date Field Manually
                matt hins

Thanks Eric,

I ended up going with the two graph approach and I actually kept the Prospect line graph set to discrete because the date field for that dimension has date & time. When set to continuous, the line graph breaks down each count by time, rather than aggregating by day and ignoring the time. I end up with a continuous flat line graph, which is not as useful. When set to discrete, the line graph aggregates by day and ignores the time, so I get a nice view of incoming Prospects by day over 30, 60, and 90 day periods (screenshot attached). It's not a perfect solution but it will do for now.

Thanks for your help,

Matt

• 5. Re: Set Day / Date Field Manually
                  Eric Hammond

Hi Matt,

I am glad that is working.  FYI: to chart a continuous date by day (not hour) for a date/time field, right-click and drag the date field to the columns shelf, then choose the green DAY(Date Field) - not the blue/discrete version.

1 of 1 people found this helpful