1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 3, 2018 2:26 PM by Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Tableau server Backup Primary Fail-over High availability

Manikanta pothuri

Hi Guys,

Some one please help me out with few answers, as soon as possible.

As per the Tableau suggestion we are planning to install 5 node   high availability, they have suggested to install 3 worker nodes  and 2 gate ways : 1 primary gate way and if primary gate way fails then route the requests to the secondary (Backup )gate way which route the requests workloads to the tableau workers.

System config:

Gate ways: 4 core 32 GB Ram 50 GB hard disk

Workers: 8 core 64 GB Ram 50 Gb Hard disk

License 24 Core

I’m confused about what are the set up file I need to install on each node, as per my knowledge I have to install Primary on Primary Gate way, Worker set up on 3 workers and what are the set up files I need to install on 2nd gate way ?

I have seen all the Tableau server installation guides to configure high availability. But end up with these questions, what exactly tableau suggested architecture works.

• Do I need to install primary Tableau server set up on both gate ways then how to configure for Backup primary failover what is the process in that case? (if we are not going to add backup primary gate way in to cluster how gate way server is going to communicate with the workers after primary)

Or

• Do I need to install worker set up files on backup primary Gateway machine do I need to add backup primary Gate way node in to configuration window? (where we add all the worker nodes) and run the Failover commands; if we are not going to add backup primary gate way in to cluster how gate way server is going to communicate with the workers after primary fails.

I have seen in few forms that I need to install primary on Backup primary and copy

Process to create backup primary (From installation guide)

• Configure the Primary
      • Copy the Primary Config and Keystore
        • Copy both the tabsvc.ymltabsvcfolder to a temporary location on the backup primary node
        • Install & Disable the Backup Primary
        • After the Primary Fails
        • Configure the Backup Primary
        • Start the Backup Primary