3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2018 11:06 AM by Joe Oppelt

Calendar Style Table

Marc-Anthony Di Biase

Hello,

My data set is from a mobile application, in which a record gets recorded each time a table in the database is edited by a specific user which belongs to a client. An example is Client A, who has Users A and B - User A goes and performs an action which affects Table 1 on Jan 1 2018.

Each table belongs to a specific feature. What I want to see is if a certain client used a feature on each day regardless of how many times a record appears on that day, or how many users created a record that day.

A filter should be used to select which Client to view - in this case, Client A will be selected and based on my data that is attached, this would be my desired output;

Output.png

Feature 1 will be marked as true when Table 1 is edited

Feature 2 will be marked as true when Table 2 or Table 4 is edited

Feature 3 will be marked as true when Table 3 is edited

Let me know if any other clarification is required for my issue.

• 1. Re: Calendar Style Table
          Joe Oppelt

There are a million questions to ask here.  (And you have a million moving parts with this post.)

Are you going to have only a week's worth of data?  Or are you looking to create a whole calendar page?

Do you need to know how to make a calendar layout?  (There are a ton of articles out there already, if you do.  Here is one:  https://www.interworks.com/blog/dwyers/2012/05/22/creating-calendar-views-tableau )

Do you need help setting the values for each feature?

Do you need help getting the check mark or "X" to display?

Do you need help setting up a filter to select the client?

• 2. Re: Calendar Style Table
            Marc-Anthony Di Biase

Hi Joe Oppelt,

Thanks for the response. Apologies for how vague my initial post is - I've posted a few times on the forums with very details questions and have never gotten a response or have confused those responding.

Are you going to have only a week's worth of data?  Or are you looking to create a whole calendar page?

No, in my actual data set I am pulling from an oracle database which gets populated through a mobile application. The data will be continuously generated, however I am only interested in a relative amount of time - i.e. last 2 months - to be shown on the dashboard within this view.

Do you need help setting the values for each feature?

Yes, when I was trying to do this on my own, I was using an IF statement to first formulate which feature is being used based on the table in the data like this;

Field Name = Feature Name

Feature 1

IF([Table Name] = 'Table 1') THEN [Number of Records] ELSE 0 END

Feature 2

IF([Table Name] = 'Table 2' or [Table Name] = 'Table 4') THEN [Number of Records] ELSE 0 END

Next, I aggregated my data based on each client, username, table name and date created to see if a certain user, belonging to a certain client had used the feature on a specific day

{ FIXED [Client Id],[User Name], [Table Name], [Date Made]: avg(if([Employee] = 1) THEN ([Employee]) END)}

Where I'm struggling is to get this to show in a cross tab with dates as columns and features as rows, I tried an IF statement for example;

IF ({FIXED [Date Made] : avg(if([Feature 1] = 1) then [Feature 1] END)} > 0)

THEN '✔' ELSE '✖' END

But the output was not as expected, I say checks and X's together in columns possibly because of issues with aggregation.

Do you need help getting the check mark or "X" to display?

No, see above

Do you need help setting up a filter to select the client?

No, I should be able to do this on my own either with a parameter or a filter itself.

I hope this clears up any confusion regarding my issue, please let me know if you have any other outstanding questions.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Calendar Style Table
              Joe Oppelt

I would have 3 [Feature-x] calcs.

{ FIXED [Client], [Date] : SUM(  IF [TableName] = "Table 1" then 1 else 0 END) }

{ FIXED [Client], [Date] : SUM(  IF [TableName] = "Table 2"  or  [TableName] = "Table 4"  then 1 else 0 END) }

etc.

When you select a client, you'll have a value on each row for each date for each of the 3 calcs.

Next calcs:

IF SUM([Feature-1]) > 0     THEN '✔' ELSE '✖' END

(Same for all 3.)

Then put MeasureNames on ROWS and Date on COLUMNS (And MeasureValues on TEXT) and I think that will give you a start at the display you want to see.

Laying out a calendar display will be your next step, but let's see if this gets you started.

BTW, hack this up in a sample workbook with an excel data source for now, and I can work with you if you upload that.

1 of 1 people found this helpful