2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2018 6:10 AM by Maria Barillas Lara

Different date formats

Maria Barillas Lara

Hi all,

I have 4 questions. I'm trying to join several databases, all with 3 common dimension: region, country and date.

1. When joining them, I still get these dimensions repeating on the data source table. Shouldn't they appear only once?
      2. These have different date formats, interest rates can be changed any day during the year (example: during December, the fed's decision to change change the rate was on 12.13.2017), while data such as population, or total reserves are in an annual basis. Once I join interest rates, these are forced to become annual data. How can I solve this problem?
      3. Again on interest rates, I want the data to appear in straight lines (see screenshot below), how can proceed?
      4. If I plan to work with several macroeconomic indicators for all countries I can find between 1990-2020, is there a way to avoid the Tableau from crashing?

I have version 10.5, am attaching the excel source as well.

Thanks a lot!

• 1. Re: Different date formats
          sunil.sachdeva

Hi,

1. When joining them, I still get these dimensions repeating on the data source table. Shouldn't they appear only once?

Tableau brings all dimensions from all data sources joined, however you can hide duplicate fields you don't want, to clean up metadata

2.  These have different date formats, interest rates can be changed any day during the year (example: during December, the fed's decision to change change the rate was on 12.13.2017), while data such as population, or total reserves are in an annual basis. Once I join interest rates, these are forced to become annual data. How can I solve this problem?

Population data is used as primary data source (and left joined) to other data sources and will restrict interest rate data for dates available in primary data source. either use FULL OUTER JOIN on interest rate data or change join condition to check only year of date:

be mindful of the fact that it's one-to-many relationship so population data will repeat for each row of interest rate data.

you can use LOD to dedup population measure, something like :

{FIXED  [Country],[Region],[Date]:MAX([Total population (thousands)])}

3. Again on interest rates, I want the data to appear in straight lines (see screenshot below), how can proceed?

do you mean continuous line? don't understand issue here?

4.  If I plan to work with several macroeconomic indicators for all countries I can find between 1990-2020, is there a way to avoid the Tableau from crashing?

Crashing? Tableau can consume large data sets, could you please share scenario when it crashes to replicate and check? or may be contact tableau support for this.

hope that helps.

• 2. Re: Different date formats
            Maria Barillas Lara

Thank you!

Yes, I mean to present interest rates as a continuous line, but I guess

this is related to the dates problem so hopefully one solution helps me to

solve the other problem.

Thanks again!

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 12:19 AM, sunil.sachdeva <